Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tridelphia 17 May 14 - First MD Walleye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tridelphia 17 May 14 - First MD Walleye!

As promised in the other thread, here are pictures of my first Maryland walleye, the spinner rig I tied, and some other pictures.

Had the whole Cowfamily out for this trip. We had a good time. My wife and oldest daughter fished from shore for the first several hours while my youngest and I hammered the white perch from the kayak. Around noon I picked up and swapped Cowkids and got my oldest on the nose of the yak for some catching. A little while later I came back and turned over the helm to my wife, then Cowkid2 and I fished from with a crappie rig and worms.

Cowkid2 and I with an almost instant double white perch to start the day.

A couple minutes later I caught my first MD walleye. 12' of water, trolling at 1.2 knots, 5/8 bait walker sinker with a worm harness spinner I tied. I measured it a dozen times, and the longest it got was 14 1/2 inches, so after the picture it went back in the drink.

Here's the spinner. Double #4 bait holder hooks spaced a couple inches, a #3 Colorado blade in Chartreuse and 4mm plastic faceted beads in pink.

Cowkid1 catches her first fish ever fish from a kayak.

Cowdog2 was going absolutely bonkers on the shore while she could see Cowgirl and Cowkid1 on the kayak...and took off to join them.

While Cowkid2 and I were stuck on shore, the one rod I was half-heartedly fishing went OFF!!! A nice size carp picked up the worm and started running.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Wow! What and awesome day. I haven't gotten a carp yet from there either. Nice walleye. I'm selfishly hoping that they keep growing and can somehow successfully spawn.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      Wow! What and awesome day. I haven't gotten a carp yet from there either. Nice walleye. I'm selfishly hoping that they keep growing and can somehow successfully spawn.
      It was a great day with my girls. The only real bad thing that happened was realizing my kayak seat was not in the Jeep when we got to the lake. Let me tell you, that was painful...I have red marks from where the plastic of the kayak was digging in to my skinny backside.

I blame my wife, she was moving things around in the storage room where I park my kayak and fishing stuff...I ALWAYS put everything away in the same place so I know where it is without having to look for it or think about it.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

The walleye should be able to spawn/reproduce naturally in Tridelphia. Does anyone know if they do? Do they keep stocking them?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Looks like the gang had a blast. That's an awesome family day. Even the dog got in on the action. Nice. I see the rig works for carp too.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
            Looks like the gang had a blast. That's an awesome family day. Even the dog got in on the action. Nice. I see the rig works for carp too.

Mobile Phone
            Spinner rig didn't catch the carp, that was from the bank with a crappie rig and worm. It was a great day with the girls.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

FWIW, I have caught a lot of carp at Tridelphia on my fly rod. When the cicada start crashing on to the water, a fly rod with a foam imitation is a killer for carp. The last massive 17 year cicada hatch (2004?) was a kayak flyfishing blast!
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Great day on the water, Cowpokey...and a beautiful family!
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                  Great day on the water, Cowpokey...and a beautiful family!
                  It was. Thanks, my girls are beautiful...don't know how I managed that. lol
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    The walleye should be able to spawn/reproduce naturally in Tridelphia. Does anyone know if they do? Do they keep stocking them?
                    The information I've read on the internet from the Maryland DNR indicates that fish surveys show no natural reproduction of walleyes at Triadelphia. Hopefully, they are wrong and the fish have been taking care of it.

Comment

I always remembered walleye using rip-rap for spawning back home...don't know if that's a natural requirement though. I don't recall seeing any rip-rap in Tridelphia or Rocky Gorge?
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Awesome day. Family and fishing.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Stand Up Paddle Board
                        Pelican 100

Comment

I think dnr confirmed reproduction of Walleyes there. I know they did in Rocky Gorge. You can email Mary Groves (MD DNR sampling biologist) if you're curious.
                          Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                          Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                          Northern Pike: 24 inches
                          Crappie: 12 inches
                          Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

looks like a great day on the water for the whole family (dog included)! congrats on the first Maryland Eye!
                            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Awesome! Nice Job!
                              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X