Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slaughter Beach and Coral Beds Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaughter Beach and Coral Beds Question...

Just wanted to see if anyone has launched from Slaughter Beach and 'yaked out to the Coral Beds for some Drum Fishing? I've got the coordinates in my GPS and I've been studying some maps getting familiar with the water (mentally) but.... I drove over there two weeks ago to find a launch point and noticed that the beach looks to have a concrete barrier just in the breakers, a few feet into the water. I didn't get in the water due to being on my way to a dinner get together but I am curious as to if it drops off after this 'concrete wall' or is it a little lip with a gradual water depth change...not sure what the deal is...any info would be appreciated. I probably should have just stopped into one of the stores on the main drag and asked...next time. My plan is to give this a try next weekend probably Sunday afternoon/evening. Thoughts from the Yakiverse?
    Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

I was interested in trying it to get some black drum. I would love to go out with you if you evet try.
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

I haven't launched off there. Are you thinking about launching from the Bay Ave and Slaughter Beach Rd intersection area? If there is barrier in the water, maybe you could launch off the beach and trek around the barrier and head diagonally for the beds. Maybe ride over it? How far out are the beds?

Anyway, sounds like an interesting trip. I caught juvenile black drum at CBBT, and they are tasty.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I'm thinking I'm going to launch from Simpson Ave, the last public access parking road. The beds aren't too far, I'm going to verify tonight; I believe it is just about 2 miles.

Going to give it a shot Sunday afternoon depending on the weather. Worst case, I drive out there walk into the bay and say "nope", then turn around and go to the Pier, haha.
        Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

If you're inviting, I'd join you. After all, best to go with a partner when you're out 2 miles in open water. (heh, heh... I like to drum fish). Can't do Sunday though. Good luck!
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Invites are always open...only problem is Sunday is the ONLY day I have to fish, haha. Not getting down there until Saturday evening then Monday is our family clam bake at the folks. I may try to fish Monday first thing in the AM at the pier but still working out the details.

I checked on my GPS last night and it looks like its actually only about 1.2-1.4 miles to my first set of GPS #'s, then 1.8 miles to the second set, not too bad at all. Who knew the Broadkill Slough was only 2.9 miles from the beach...may have to give that a shot at some point this summer if the weather is perfect.
            Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

I will be down there all weekend with my buddy and will probably be fishing around CHSP. Definitely planning on a drum attempt too on sunday given that wind forecast. I also have numbers from my buddy who's been catching them all week that are about a mile off the beach. Hopefully the weatherman is right this time...
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Sweet Romo - hope to see you out there. I'll be driving the wife's Mazda with my Orange Hobie Outback car-topped.
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

any recon?
                  sigpic

Comment

Easy to launch from here at mid to high tide, parking was super easy. Bugs were BAD, bring spray, or a bug suit, haha. I caught more croaker than I could count, a skate and hooked up with three decent sized sharks who broke off boat side. No drum for me, but we heard them drumming on the way back in...you could feel it through the hull of the boat, crazy.
                    Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

Working...
                    X