Skunked at Piney Point, 3/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunked at Piney Point, 3/26

The punchline is in the title. Read on if you want to hear about everything that didn't work.

I thought I'd try my luck at Piney Point since folks were catching stripers at SPSP. The plan was to drag something big out to Stuarts Pier, jig the pilings, then hit my topwater spots with big poppers. I talked to an older gentlemen who saw my yak from the road and came by to take a look. He said stripers were being caught in the channel, so I figured my chances for a skunk were slight lower than I initially thought.

I hit the water at about 4:30, which was max flood. Water temp was 51* and salinity was 9. I checked the salinity at SPSP this morning, and it's essentially fresh at the moment, so I was way off in my estimation of conditions there. I probably should've launched by the 301 bridge.

I started off pulling a 6" shallow running Bomber until I got to deeper water when I switched to a 1oz parachute and 6" shad. No hits and nothing onthe sonar. There was an oil boat docked at the pier, so jigging was scratch off my list. I worked the shallows near the rip rap there with a 6" popper without any luck.

I trolled a Stretch 15 back toward my topwater spots. I saw two marks on the sonar right on the bottom but didn't get any hits. It turned out later that the Stretch wasn't running as deep as I thought. I think those two marks were decent fish because they were actually arch-shaped, which my sonar doesn't usually show. Once I got to shallow water again, I switch back to the big Bomber but didn't have any luck. At least that lure ran as deep as I wanted it to.

I had almost enough water at my topwater spot by 7pm, but the temperature was dropping fast and I wasn't feeling very hopeful. Usually there are some signs of fish in that area when they're there. No signs this time. No hits on a variety of poppers and Rattletraps at that spot or by the bridge. I called it quits at 8pm.

There was a little bit of chop and some wake from ships that was around a foot and a half, and I was pleased with how the Revo handled it. I would've gotten a faceful of spray from the Outback. My Revo muscles are finally getting built up, too. I hit the 3 mile mark pretty quickly and easily, and I wasn't tired after covering 6 miles despite wearing my heavy wool pants and waders. That is, until I got home and sat down. Overall, I was pretty happy despite not catching anything. I really wish I could've jigged the pier though. I haven't put my new Carrot Stix through its paces yet. I also wished I had brought the salted bloodworms I had in the fridge.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

I was talking to a guy at the store, who was in buying fishing gear. He said he caught a 42 inck striper at Calvert Cliffs last week. He was all prowd of himself. So it sounds as if there are a few around. I am glad the water is warming some. We just need some sunny warm days.

Sorry about the skunk. Won't be long and you will be able to toss him out of the boat.

Comment

Sorry about the Skunk Bill, I too know about the Skunk now.... You will nail the fish soon and have your vengence as I did.

Comment

Ha, after a banner weekend last weekend i got the smell back yesterday and again this morning in the snow at spsp, very windy and cold and some snow this morning to top it off going to try to de-skunk again this afternoon/evening soon as my fingers thaw out

should have dropped a bucktail with a bkd on their heads Bill.
        Last edited by surfdog; 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM. Reason: frozen fingers

Comment

Don and Martin--I figured I had about an 85% chance of getting skunked before I set out, but I was hoping to be the pioneer that finds the motherlode. A couple guys did quick fly-bys from shore, so it must not be out of the realm of possibility. However, there aren't crowds there like at SPSP, so it must not be that reliable. The area around Stuarts Pier produces a lot of fish for trollers in April, though.

Sam--You and Mike B. are the ones that got me thinking about it. I knew if I drove up to Annapolis, not only would I get skunked, but my skunk would latch on to everyone else, and the wind would be howling. At least it was a cheaper skunk here.

I thought about dropping a BKD on the marks, but it was only one fish each time and I wasn't sure how worthwhile jigging on one fish would be.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the report. I got skunked on my first outing this year....gonna redeem myself this weekend with a nice 40incher...
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

that 1 good mark could have been a really nice fish, if its a really good arch i would have to drop something on it. got the double skunk this weekend water temps dropped, i wasnt holding the rod right, bad worms IDK thats fishing

Comment

Working...
              X