Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20.5" Tog CHSP 10 May, Sat

CHSP Sat, 5-10-14

Was on the water 0740 hrs. Lots of yakers out there. Light winds, hardly any white caps, and partly sunny.

Great tog fishing. I found a hole, and using blue crab and shrimp, caught 13 togs ranging from 13" to 20.5". I limited out by 0930 hrs. Released or gave a bunch of fish to other anglers.

Measured keepers (6): 15.5, 15.5, 15.5, 16.5, 20, 20.5"

Met MKF guys out there, and they caught fish too.

Around 0800 hrs, my mirage drive failed. The rod holding the front fin fractured from cycle stresses (as well as from the re-bending back from hitting rocks over the years). I still managed to get forward motion, though limited thrust, from using only the rear fin. Trick was to use short rapid pumps. Still, the thrust was limited so I decided not to go to the Outer Wall.

Oh, when I got bored of togs around noon, I switched to jigging for flounder at the pier. Nada. Asked other yakers, and they caught nothing too. I went in after about 1 1/2 hrs of jigging.

One thing I learned. I had last year's leftover frozen blue crab. It was refroze 2-3 times. It was smelly and the liquid in the bag was brown. I tried it anyway, and guess what, it worked! Caught several togs, including a 20 incher.

This was my first attempt at tog fishing this year, and it was great. Sniff, sniff,... DE tog season closes 12 May.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Congratulations Tufnik! You finally made it out and 13 tog to boot!
    I had all the hopes and plans to make it out this weekend but had family events take precedence.

I understand OC is still open though. I've never been and would love to try to get my first kayak keeper Tog... Let me know if you think about going there one day.

Sent using Tapatalk
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Abu,
      In a few days MD tog season will allow creel of only two, and I'm not hearing a lot of prolific tog catchin' reports out of OC. I think I'm going to focus on flounder now, and DE looks good so far. DE tog season reopens in two months. The creel will be five!
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        Abu,
        In a few days MD tog season will allow creel of only two, and I'm not hearing a lot of prolific tog catchin' reports out of OC. I think I'm going to focus on flounder now, and DE looks good so far. DE tog season reopens in two months. The creel will be five!
        Works for me! LOL

Sent using Tapatalk
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You finally made it. Two thumbs up!
          joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Great looking fish! Congrats on catching.
            Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Nice tog Tufnik!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
              X