CHSP 5/9 Flounder and Tog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP 5/9 Flounder and Tog

Flounders are definitely here now in numbers. 2 people (3 including me) had a pair of flounders each. 3 others had 1 each. I would have had 3 if the new regulations had passed. I let a 16" flattie go. 1 hit a tandem rig with a 3/4 oz white lime spro with white gulp on the bottom and just a white gulp mullet on top. It hit the top. The next 2 hit a tandem rig with 1oz white spro bucktail on the bottom with pink gulp mullet and just a pink gulp mullet on top. 1 bit the top and the other bit the bottom. All hooks were tipped with a 4 - 5 inch of squid. (I prefer thin strips... at most 1 cm). All of them were caught in the light of the pier.

Togs... it was a great close to the season. Only caught about 9 today, but 4 were keeper size. 17, 17, 19, 15. I only used shrimp. It was pretty awesome today cause with 6 - 7" it was pretty epic watching the tog fight coming out of the holes and up to the yak. Especially cause the first 3 keepers I had were males so the white bellies flashing as they fought to get back in the hole was pretty awesome. Good times out on the water.

10329253_10152132222631700_4239438516707827869_n.jpg

I ran out of memory space on my GoPro, but I left it hooked up underwater. Hopefully with the water clarity I got some good shots.
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Somebody's eating good for a while! NICE!

Sent from the water.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You are the man. Flounders or togs better raw?
      Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

To be honest I think they both are very good. I think tog is a bit more chewier and oily than flounder, but both are very prized table fare when it comes to raw delicacies. haha.
        I can't explain the taste really, but both have more flavor or sweetness??? than lets say... rockfish. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Fish View Post
        You are the man. Flounders or togs better raw?
        The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Congrats on some beautiful fish. I hope to be fishing there the last two weekends of May. Thanks for sharing about the rig as well; good to hear the slight variations in tandem rigs between various fisherfolks.
          Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am glad you got both of the prized raw delicacies. =] I haven't had flounder raw since I was a little kid so I will aim for some flounder in July.

Originally posted by dson05 View Post
            To be honest I think they both are very good. I think tog is a bit more chewier and oily than flounder, but both are very prized table fare when it comes to raw delicacies. haha.
            I can't explain the taste really, but both have more flavor or sweetness??? than lets say... rockfish. Just my opinion.
            Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Hmm never tried flounder raw, but I'll agree tog is very good with a little soy sauce and wasabi. Trigger is very good too and surprisingly fresh bluefish is pretty good raw too.

Sent from the water.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wow I never knew you can eat blues raw. I will try next time.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Hmm never tried flounder raw, but I'll agree tog is very good with a little soy sauce and wasabi. Trigger is very good too and surprisingly fresh bluefish is pretty good raw too.

Sent from the water.
                Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I like flounders better. Both are def great. Bluefish is best when you literally just catch it, bleed it out then fillet. Gotta give credit to dson for teaching me about the blue sashimi

Originally posted by Fish View Post
                  Wow I never knew you can eat blues raw. I will try next time.

Comment

Great catches! Just a quick question about eating them raw. I know fish served at sushi bars are regularly frozen and then thawed before serving to kill any worms or parasites that might be there. Do you do the same with the fish you catch or is this not a concern? I'm curious because I'd love to try my catches raw but I'd also like to avoid any creepy crawlers in my gut. Thanks!

Comment

Awesome bro! That right there is a great day at CHSP!

Sent using Tapatalk
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Yeah, good job. I like those flatties.

"... in the light..." So, you did night fishing?
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I am so glad that you guys are out fishing.
                          Where do you guys fish from now on?

Joe
                          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            I am so glad that you guys are out fishing.
                            Where do you guys fish from now on?

Joe
                            My plans are to fish for flounders and drum in delaware a little bit but try the bay bridge and cbbt in the next month or so. I would like to try to catch sheepshead. Oc is another option for drum and flounder

When are we going to go together? After this week I have a month free to fish anytime before my internship.
                            Last edited by dson05; 05-11-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                              Yeah, good job. I like those flatties.

"... in the light..." So, you did night fishing?
                              YEah. I fished at night near the around the pier.

Comment

Working...
                              X