Cunningham Trout 5/8/14 - Patience pays off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cunningham Trout 5/8/14 - Patience pays off

After about 4 trips to Cunningham without a single trout to show, I ended today with limit of 5! Felt good finally finding the fish (or maybe they found me lol). Was on the water from about 10:30 to 1:30. The trick today seemed to be using Berkley Gulp Eggs instead of the traditional nightcrawler that I have been using. Key today was finding the proper water depth. I anchored up in about 28 ft - 30 ft and put 3 rods out at diff depths. First fish hit in about 15ft or so. Rest of the fish were all hitting around 23ft - 30 ft. There are still plenty of them out there. They have stocked thousands in there and every time I am up there I am the only one fishing.

Sorry for not having any pictures. My lifeproof phone case broke and i'm just a few weeks away from upgrading my phone.

Good Luck to all!
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Glad the patience paid off!

I haven't fished there in probably 20 years. I remember renting a canoe with my dad and seeing some HUGE largemouth in there. There didn't seem to be any fishing pressure back then either. Those memories have had me wanting to go back for a long time. Are there any restrictions or fees for launching your own kayak there?
    Mike

Comment

There is a ramp fee of I think $3. Other than that it's electric motors only. Water is usually pretty clear. If you can get out there on a day with no wind, it's great.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

What kind of rig do you use to fish them between 25-30'?
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
          What kind of rig do you use to fish them between 25-30'?
          Yesterday I was just using a split shot about 18 inches or so above a salmon egg hook. I have also had success with night crawlers using the same technique.

Nothing too crazy but it gets the job done.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by mjonez23 View Post
            Yesterday I was just using a split shot about 18 inches or so above a salmon egg hook. I have also had success with night crawlers using the same technique.

Nothing too crazy but it gets the job done.
            Not to be dense, but:

1. How do you know when you have it at correct depth.
            2, Do you let it sit, vertical jig it?

The reason I ask is one. I might try going there some time. I generally make it out to Deep Creek Lake, and they fish for trout near dam. My guess is tactics would be similar in deep water for trout.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Cunningham Trout 5/8/14 - Patience pays off

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
              Not to be dense, but:

1. How do you know when you have it at correct depth.
              2, Do you let it sit, vertical jig it?

The reason I ask is one. I might try going there some time. I generally make it out to Deep Creek Lake, and they fish for trout near dam. My guess is tactics would be similar in deep water for trout.
              Yup you got it. What I typically do is just follow the edges of what I'm guessing is the old creek channel that was there before they dammed up the lake. I try to anchor up about 10 feet or so off the edge of the channel so that I'm showing a flat bottom on my FF. After that I simply just let it sit for them. I will drop the line until it hits bottom and then give it a few reels so that I know it's slightly off the bottom or reel more if I wanna go to shallower depth.

I know there is also a decent crappie population there as well. Not sure if you fish for those or not.

Hope that answered your questions lol
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Working...
              X