Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 lb tiles! Deep Drop 3 May, Sat

9 lb tiles! Deep Drop 3 May, Sat

Beautiful day. Smooth water. Fish catching was only fair though.

We departed 2:40 am Saturday on the Rudee Angler with about 30 anglers onboard for this 17-hour trip. It turned out to be among the best fishing days wx-wise. Mostly sunny with light winds. In the morning, the water was near glass. Not a single white-cap all day.

Yaaayyyy....I got a whole bench to myself to sleep.

We rode about 5 hours to get to our first fishing spot and dropped squid on 16 ounce sinkers in about 200 feet of water. We caught black sea bass and tiles. We went on to several other spots progressing up to 800 ft (yes, even though the water was calm, there were currents that caused some nasty tangles at the deeper spots).

At 400 ft I caught a 28" 9+ pound tile on squid. An hour later, in a little deeper water, I caught another 9 pounder. At 700 ft we were up to using 24 ounce lead. I caught nothing, but this guy caught a huge grouper (estimated over 40 lbs) and another fellow caught a slightly smaller grouper. At 800 ft, I think nobody caught anything, so we went to another spot. It was in the afternoon. We stopped to fish, and thinking we were at 900 ft, the two guys next to me decided to sit it out. They looked bushed and didn't want to risk tangles or endure the task of cranking up the load on already tired arms. I reluctantly dropped my sinker, and was surprised to find the depth to be less than 400 ft. I told the two guys next to me, and they immediately picked up their rods to fish...lol...

Overall, fishes caught included barrel, blueline tile, hog fish, grouper, black sea bass, eels and rosefish. No dogfish..ha...ha. BTW, the Captain had a bsb permit so everyone could take their fish home even though bsb season is closed until 19 May. Also, unexpectedly at dock side, there was a DNR officer to check the bsb permit with the Captain.

A very good day of fishing. Few, if any, had full coolers of fish, but I think everyone caught something to take home. My cooler had a couple of black sea bass, couple blueline tiles (including two 9 pounders) and one black belly rose fish.

Looking forward to the next trip. Got to get me a grouper
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice. now let's go get some Flounder!

Comment

Way to go!

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Yeah, I'm ready for flounder, but I still have a yearning for puppy drum.

Goody, are you going to Rudee again for puppies? Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Comment

I haven't decided what to do yet. Might go to CHSP possibly or just stay local. I'll have to see later this week. Are you head over there?

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Good looking fish Tufnik

Comment

Goody,
              I too don't know yet. Maybe try Rudee for reds and flounder. Maybe try CHSP for togs and flounder. Maybe stay home and cut grass.

Fourstep,
              They look like the pair you caught last time. Twin brothers...lol...

Comment

They did look like my twins. I was thinking that too because both of mine were 9lbs. but I didnt want to take your shime away from your great catch mentioning it. How was it pulling those big boys up?

Comment

Nice, those tiles are purdy!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Looks like a blast, thanks for sharing. How much does a head boat trip like that cost?
                    Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

$200

Comment

Looks like you got the chaos rod fixed! Nice tiles! What was the grouper caught on?
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

WTG Tufnik!!! I know how you love those Tiles!

Comment

Nice Tufnik!

That water is unbelievable! like glass!

Like Shady said, those tiles sure are purdy! So those two little ones are also tiles? Almost looks like they don't have scales...

I have to join you in the future on one of these. I've never been but I really want to go!

I was hoping to make plans for CHSP this weekend, but unfortunately we have a family thing on Friday, Saturday, and of course Mother's day on Sunday. Looks like I won't be getting my CHSP tog until the season opens again.... I guess OC is still open. Never been but reports make it sound good
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Dan,
                              If you apply the moc-vap formula (Martin’s value proposition), you realize it’s worth the $200. On one trip he caught 50 lbs. At $15/lb, you have $750 worth of fish. On this trip, I caught about 25 lbs, so that’s $375.

Mike,
                              Yeah, I fixed the Chaos and used it for the first time. It has a bit more flex than my Ugly Stick, so it doesn’t handle 24 ounces as well. Still, it’s a great rod.

The guy who caught the snowy grouper caught it with squid on a 7/0 gamakatsu circle hook using an electric reel. While bringing it up, his line was tangled with 3-4 other lines. The skipper and mate managed to free his line, then the skipper gaffed the fish when it finally surfaced.

When I hooked up on the second 9 pounder, it was tugging pretty good. I knew it was a big one. Anyway, half way up, my line got tangled with some other line. The mate quickly freed the lines. What a relief…could of lost that puppy.

Abu,
                              Yes, those are smaller tiles. So, I caught four tiles.

BTW, had bsb and rosefish for dinner last night. OMG...so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X