Point Lookout Fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout Fishing?

I'm just curious, has anyone had a chance to fish out of Point Lookout State Park for rockfish this season or plan to soon? I've been stuck to fishing mostly the creeks, lakes, and ponds in Southern Maryland but really would like to make it out to the bigger water soon to start trolling for rockfish. I'd probably keep some of the smaller keepers and love to catch and release one of the larger ones I've seen brought back to the docks in my area. I haven't caught a large rockfish in my Hobie Pro Angler and I think it would be a blast. Again, I was just curious if anyone has ventured out of Point Lookout yet. I fishing from a large boat on Saturday out of Solomons for the day and we didn't pull in one fish. It really didn't bother me because honestly I don't get excited about hauling in rockfish using dozens of heavy class rods anymore. It just doesn't feel all that sporting.
    Live for today, and fish often...
    2014 Pro Angler 14
    St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

moc and Kitkatyakker fished St Jeromes.....got Nada
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yeah, that's my backyard and I haven't attempted to fish there yet. I think the best shot it's out of Point Lookout and out to the deeper water to catch the run. Let me know if anyone is interested in pairing up. I may try before the end of the week before the chaos starts again this weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
      2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

The rumors that I hear for PLO area is that the big fish are holding kinda shallow, 24 ft of water or so. A few 36 inchers were caught from the shore as well. Here's hoping the weather improves!
        Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Hey TalonAngler,

have you heard of croakers being caught down there yet?

Thanks

Comment

The guys fishing from shore are grabbing a few croaker, they're not down here in huge numbers yet.
            Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Thanks for info.

Comment

Well, it looks like my first chance to get back out there will be Friday due to the poor weather. I'd like to fish tomorrow but it's very likely to be raining heavy in the afternoon. I'll report back here if I get a chance to get out.
                2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Fished Nan's Cove down at Brooms island on Monday. Saw many fish jump. Birds caught some fish. Me - no fish. Once again I was humiliated by natures slap to my face.
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

The water is flat and the weather is fair, anyone interested in trying to fish out of Point Lookout this afternoon for a few hours? I may try to head out solo for a bit but I'd love some company if anyone's in the area. The guy I usually go kayak fishing with can't make it today. I really think today would be a nice day on the water. I'm sure the boat traffic would be light today. I'm feeling a little ill and may have to leave work a little early. The cure just may be some fishing.
                    2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Jambone View Post
                      The water is flat and the weather is fair, anyone interested in trying to fish out of Point Lookout this afternoon for a few hours? I may try to head out solo for a bit but I'd love some company if anyone's in the area. The guy I usually go kayak fishing with can't make it today. I really think today would be a nice day on the water. I'm sure the boat traffic would be light today. I'm feeling a little ill and may have to leave work a little early. The cure just may be some fishing.
                      Sadly....THE JOB! or I'd be there! Maybe contact Tall timbers yakker...he is retired i think
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Just a FYI for Calvert/St Mary's folks. 4 friends of mine took a boat out of the Patuxent to the edge of the dropoffs from Drum Point up to the power plant this morning. Just one run...they caught their limit...and returned before their coffee got cold w/ not a single fish on the boat less than 28". The biggest one was 40"! Not bad.

Comment

I ended up launching at the county launch ramp and fishing just outside St. Mary's River. I wasn't successful with my trolling but I got one heck of a workout. It was beautiful on the water but the current was a bit strong. If anyone's interested in running out to troll a bit in the lower Potomac River let me know. I'd prefer not to run out solo. I took a few pictures with the new Gear 2, not too bad for a watch.

Last edited by Jambone; 05-07-2014, 08:34 AM.
                          2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

I forgot one, I like this shot too.

Last edited by Jambone; 05-07-2014, 08:30 AM. Reason: simple clean up
                            2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                            X