Interesting Day in RI (4/26)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Day in RI (4/26)

Wow it was windy...couldn't get my drift speeds right and with the wind I was drifting around 3-4 mph so the flounder fishing wasn't working out for me. I ended up getting a tiny Striper on Gulp! but that's it.

I did happen to shear the rudder pin on my Outback as I was coming back into the inlet after a little stint out into the bay. It was a little nerve racking due to the chop being 2-4's with white caps, but a bit of hard paddling after pulling up the fins and rudder and it went OK. Truth be told, this thing is a tank to paddle without the rudder/fins...I'd rather not do it for a long period of time...ever again, haha. Anybody ever make a stainless steel rudder pin?

All in all a good learning experience and who can complain about sitting in the sun with waves rocking you back and forth.
    Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

I was thinking of going there on Saturday, but the winds changed my decision. I like fishing that inlet however.

Comment

The rudder pins are meant to be sacrificial. I wouldn't change it to anything stronger, that would just lead to breaking something more expensive.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        The rudder pins are meant to be sacrificial. I wouldn't change it to anything stronger, that would just lead to breaking something more expensive.
        After a bit more research I agree with you, better to kill the pin that get cracked hull/transom. Hobie did however come out with a pin that is slightly stronger (stock for the 2010+ boats) so I'll be ordering 3x (one for each hatch, and one for the rudder). Thanks.
        Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

Originally posted by coastal_dan View Post
          After a bit more research I agree with you, better to kill the pin that get cracked hull/transom. Hobie did however come out with a pin that is slightly stronger (stock for the 2010+ boats) so I'll be ordering 3x (one for each hatch, and one for the rudder). Thanks.
          What caused the pin to break? I have one spare in my rear hatch, hopefully I don't need it any time soon.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I'm guessing it was the heavy winds and chop on the rudder...I have the sailing rudder so it is quite a bit larger than stock. I was coming about to the port side heading in the inlet and bam....loose rudder, I was in about 14' of water.

Edit: I also read that you may want your extra pin stored in the center hatch due to if you have to make a in-the-water fix you don't have to open your rear hatch and risk water getting into the hull.
            Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

Originally posted by coastal_dan View Post
              Edit: I also read that you may want your extra pin stored in the center hatch due to if you have to make a in-the-water fix you don't have to open your rear hatch and risk water getting into the hull.
              That's probably a good tip. I actually crawled back into the tank well yesterday on the water. My daughter's line got tangled in the rudder when I turned too sharp. It was a little precarious, I would definately try getting back to shore for a fix if it was reasonable. I agree, paddling an Outback is less than ideal.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Just so anyone who wants this info has it...Part # is 81394001

See Link for more details from Hobie.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...bie+rudder+pin
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Comment

The wind was a challenge this weekend. I had planned on trying out fishing from a paddleboard but wind and water temp made me rethink that idea. I ended up trying it out in Assawoman canal. It was nice and calm on the canal. I saw was baitfish but no luck.
                  Ride 135 Green
                  Big Tuna Orange
                  12ft Bote HD
                  Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

Working...
                  X