Potomac Shad Report #2 - 4/26/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac Shad Report #2 - 4/26/14

Started out here and didn't catch anything. Water looked great. Tide was low, so water levels were about 2 feet lower than last Saturday. Didn't see much fish activity by the bridge. Did see cormorants eating some small fish that they would dive and catch.

So I moved up to the big concrete pad and found the shad.

Didn't see any other species of fish. Most people around me weren't catching anything. Since the water was so low, the key was to get the lure way, way, out there. This week I brought two longer rods and that helped get the lure far out to the foam in the eddy.

On the walk back to the car I saw some U.S. Govt. Police talking to an Asian guy and his lady. The Asian guy had a long handled net and had been trying to scoop fish out of the river. The Police were telling him he couldn't do that and were asking to see his fishing license.

Another great day. I think I've had enough shad fun for this year. Probably caught about a dozen shad, with a few long distance releases.

Good to read you got into them again. Also, looks like the water clarity is pushing 4'-5' or more. It's really cool to see your hooked fish fighting his way in. And yeah, looong casts are what's needed to get the lure to the slow/fast water seams where the hicks like to hang out. I use 8# Fireline, 10# mono leader and a 1/4oz inline weight to get the necessary distance.

On several occasions I've seen Asian families, kids and all, use those long handled dip/landing nets to load up on the gizzard shad. I think the only fish above CB that hugs the shore close enough to dip are the gizzards. The Asians must be eating them!!!... or stocking up on gizzards to be used later as bait somewhere else.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

beautiful pics Tom! looks like a great day on the water for everyone except for the dude with the net!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I went to Chain bridge Saturday afternoon. The fish were breaking the surface all over the place but I couldn't get them to take my lures. There was a heavy DNR presence and they were checking everyone's license's and saw them ticketing a few people.

Comment

Nice Job Tom!
          2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I'm married to an Asian (Korean). It's frustrating and embarrassing taking her fishing; no ethics at all. In her mind everything is fair game and can/should be taken home to be made into some kind of dish/soup/meal. It bothered me when we were in Korea, but I let it go because it's "her country". Here, not only is it wrong, it can land you in a heap of trouble with the law. It seems like every story you hear about blantant poaching is an immigrant, and more often than not: Asian. SMH.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Great pics Tom! The stripers up my way kept me away from the shad...really hoping to get a few before they are gone
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I fished at Occoquan today for shads and see some Vietnamese guys were keeping them as well. I told them that its illegal to keep them, so they threw them back but 4 of them already dead by then.

Last week, I saw some redneck were keeping shad. I told him the same thing but he just ignored me.

I'm almost done with shad now anyway. May is here and it's time to target my favorite fish.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X