Hunting for perch 3/20/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting for perch 3/20/2011

I had planned to make an attempt and launch from Weems Creek and head up to Brewers Pond. It looked quite doable from what I can see from the online satellite maps and photos. The weather was favorable with winds predicted to be 9 mph and daytime temperatures in the low 50's. My plan was to leave my house at 9:45am, and be on the water at Weems at 11am. It was low tide in the morning and high tide in the late evening. I got a call from my fellow kayaker Steve who go to Brewers Pond 90 minutes before me. He told me that the perch are there but to bring some minnows. The perch were biting pretty good if you had minnows. He did not and had only caught one perch. His friend Jim, another fellow Kayaker was doing quite good with a small jig head with a small pink Gulp twister tail grub. Jim also had a home which had water privilege to use a private boat ramp out of Clements Creek. That is where they launched from, so they told me to launch from their also as Jim's guest. This saved me a longer paddle from Weems. Clements Creek is the third creek up from Weems. This cut my paddle distance almost in half. Well, I picked up some bull minnows from Anglers so I could share with my fellow Anglers and headed over to Clements Creek.

I finally made it over to Brewer Pond where I met Steve and Jim. The paddle took me longer than I expected. Man am I glad that I did not have to paddle all the way from Weems to Brewer Pond. I gave Steve some of the minnows that I purchased. We immediately began to catch perch. I even caught perch on dead grass shrimp that were two days old from my Friday's trip to Weems. The largest perch were caught on minnows. All three of us caught a large 12.5 to 13 inch white perch. The water was very shallow where the perch were congregated. It was only 3 to 5 feet deep. The perch seemed to like a jerky retrieval. Retrieve while popping or jerking the lure. We used minnows suspended 24 inches below a bobber or shad darts below a bobber tipped with grass shrimp.

As the evening wore on, Jim left, but not before giving his fish to Steve. Steve and I continued to enjoy the weather and fish up until 4pm. The bite had slowed considerably in the evening, so we called it quits and began out paddle back. We caught several dozen fish. I did not want to clean a bunch of fish, so I only kept 7 nice perch to end up on my dinner table. It was a good day and it was nice getting to fish with Steve and Jim again. At least I avenged being skunked for the first time.
    Attached Files

WTG Moc!! Glad you got into them..
    GB

Comment

Nice work. Citation-sized perch definitely make up for the previous skunk.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good show!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Those are some very nice Perch! I found a few close to 11" on the Magothy on Saturday. I figured here had to be Perch in the Severn, but your last trip to Weems was probably just to far down the river for this time of the year. Good Work!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            Those are some very nice Perch! I found a few close to 11" on the Magothy on Saturday. I figured here had to be Perch in the Severn, but your last trip to Weems was probably just to far down the river for this time of the year. Good Work!
            You are correct. We needed to move further up into the river. They are slowly moving down. All of the fish that I kepted turned out to be females with egg sacks.

Comment

Nice job on them Perch!!!!
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Great report...

Those are some fat perch. I should have got out this weekend. I got a case of the lazys and sat around the house all weekend.

I might hit my perch jerking spot to see if they are around later this week.

Comment

Working...
                X