Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First tog in CHSP for the year (Apr 19, 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First tog in CHSP for the year (Apr 19, 2014)

Minh caught the first CHSP tog for 2014.

Minh and I decided to catch the first tog in CHSP for the year. We've been waiting for the higher water temp (48-50+) in Cape Henlopen. It was calm day. But the water temp was still disappointing 46F (compared to 58+ F in CBBT). We fished hard. Minh found a hole. We caught two togs immediately. After that we had few more tog bites throughout the day without additional hookups.
    We bought green crab for bait. Also tested cheap hooks (Eagle Claw) compared to Owner and Gamakatsu. Eagle Claw hooks (pic on the video) worked well. This is a big deal because Owner and Gamakatsu hooks (for togging) haven't been available for a long time at my local stores, but the Eagle Claw are.

Fishing Log:
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

From research I read, togs don't leave the area and then return. They pretty much stay in the vicinity. It's the water temp that spurs activity. Anyway, nice catches.

I've been using Eagle Claws for years. No problems. They catch togs just like other more expensive hooks.

BTW, I was planning to tog yesterday but fell ill and stayed home. Maybe next weekend.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice catch Minh!

Cape was a littlerough for me so we went to Lewes to try for some flounder, try. We got skunked but it was something new for us, the inlet that is.
      IMG_20140421_120353_373.jpgIMG_20140421_102420_851.jpg

Comment

Nicely done!

They're starting to bite in OC now too. I tried from land briefly this weekend, and again after work yesterday, and landed 5 tog; with first one up being a keeper. The water still feels cold though.
        Brian

Comment

Working...
        X