Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Voyage

Took the new Outback out for its first trip. We loaded it on top of the Jeep and headed for Tridelphia.

Cowkid2 sitting on my tackle box in the tank well.

With my daughter sitting in the back there's very little water in the foot well, and it turns on a dime.

Cowkid2 decided to try sitting in the front. She said it was more comfortable. Of course with the center of balance shifted forward, there's more water in the foot well, and turning definitely became less efficient.

First fish! Nice largemouth.

Cowkid2 wanted to hold it for a picture too, she's not shy.

2nd fish! Little rainbow trout, caught both fish trolling a crank bait in 8~10 foot of water around the bank, at about 1.5 knots.

Decide to keep the trout for supper, didn't bring anything to hold the fish...but with the extra water in the foot well from Cowkid2 sitting on the nose, it made for a good live well, and it stayed alive and healthy for the rest of the afternoon (couple hours). Unfortunately (for me not the fish), I got in a hurry pulling the pedals out at the end of the trip and the fish got away through the drive well.

I really wanted my daughter to catch a bunch of fish, sadly she only caught a stick. Didn't take the smile off of her face though. She's ready to go again tomorrow. Her and my wife are in the back yard getting worms, going to try some bait fishing tomorrow. Probably go to Rocky Gorge.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Congrats on the new boat and the beautiful day with your kid.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Congrats on the maiden voyage. A memorable moment. Where did you launch from? I'm headed there tomorrow with Goody Jr for his maiden voyage on a Maui.

Mobile Phone
      Last edited by Goody; 04-12-2014, 10:39 PM.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        Congrats on the maiden voyage. A memorable moment. Where did you launch from? I'm headed there tomorrow with Goody Jr for his maiden voyage on a Maui.

Mobile Phone
        We put in at the Greenbridge Road boat ramp.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Day 2, put in at Rocky Gorge. Wind was a nuisance today, the Outback doesn't turn worth a hoot into the wind with a kid sitting on the nose hatch.

Cowkid2 got the first fish today, yippee!!!

I followed up with a smaller fish.

Then she quickly got her second fish.

My wife decided she needed to try out the new boat too. I really should have gone over the controls in the garage before we left home, telling her what to do while she's sitting on the water was not the best environment to get her to understand the basics...

All in all another pretty good day. Really happy my daughter out fished me, she's definitely hooked...pun intended.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Very nice pictures with your family. And your kayak is very nice too. Better save your money for a second
            Outback for your daughter!
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
              Very nice pictures with your family. And your kayak is very nice too. Better save your money for a second
              Outback for your daughter!
              I hear you! I was thinking about that quite a bit today.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Awesome! Maybe a hobie mirage sport would be a better fit for your daughter

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  Awesome! Maybe a hobie mirage sport would be a better fit for your daughter

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                  That's what I was thinking as well. The Sport is a kid size Outback, from what I understand?
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Congrats on the new ride, not to bust your chops but you should have a PFD on this time of year. If DNR was around you would receive an unwanted citation.

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
                      Congrats on the new ride, not to bust your chops but you should have a PFD on this time of year. If DNR was around you would receive an unwanted citation.
                      Thanks for your concern. "Children under 13 years of age must wear a PFD while underway on a vessel under 21 feet in length."

I haven't seen anything mandating PFD wear by an adult. My PFD was in the hatch, perfectly legal as far as I know...correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Awesome outing. I have an older outback and was wondering if my 9 year old could sit upfront or behind me....now I know. Not that she wants to now...I picked up an 8 foot pelican for her, now she is too cool to ride with Dad, but doesn't mind me towing her around
                        Hobie Outback
                        Stand Up Paddle Board
                        Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                          Awesome outing. I have an older outback and was wondering if my 9 year old could sit upfront or behind me....now I know. Not that she wants to now...I picked up an 8 foot pelican for her, now she is too cool to ride with Dad, but doesn't mind me towing her around
                          My 15yo daughter is too cool to do anything with "dad" unless it involves me driving her somewhere or giving her money to go shopping...usually those two things are together.

My 10yo is still the perfect age, in her eyes I'm still cool.

I think we'll be getting her a kayak soon though...will keep an eye on the for sale posts and craigslist.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Yep. Big fan of craigslist. Some guys are wanting new prices for used yaks, but if you are patient a good deal can be had.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                              Yep. Big fan of craigslist. Some guys are wanting new prices for used yaks, but if you are patient a good deal can be had.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                              There was a 2014 Outback on craigslist a couple weeks ago for $1,600...I think the seller deleted it. I wasn't ready to buy at the moment I saw it. Hopefully I run across a good deal for Cowkid2.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X