Pasadena/Ft Smallwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasadena/Ft Smallwood

Hey everyone, I just bought a kayak and just moved to the Pasadena area. I am looking forward to getting out on the water and was curious if anyone launches from Ft. Smallwood or Stony Creek. If so, do you have any tips for me? do the stripers run in that area? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi McGee,

Welcome to Snaggedline and congrats on your new kayak. I live in Pasadena but I've never launched from Ft. Smallwood. I've seen the launch area and it provides easy access. The Patapsco indeed carries stripers from its mouth all the way into Baltimore.

I've launched at Downs Park and like Ft. Smallwood it puts you immediately onto big water with little chance to escape the wind when that is present. That's why I do not prefer either launch site. But both hold the promise of good fishing when conditions are favorable.

I am hoping that something positive comes from the plans to improve kayak access to the Magothy from Beachwood Park. That would be fantastic for those of us in Pasadena.

Until then I will likely continue to frequent Jonas Green and several launch sites on Kent Island more often than waters closer to my home.

Good luck to you and I hope to meet you on the water this year.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I live on stoney creek and fish that area alot there are nice area all around there we will have to get together. I havent ever launch from ft smallwood but I do fish white rocks which is just off the point I also fish rock creek and around to stoney creek. Also ft armstead is just up the road and the key bridge is a good striper fishery
      D Hawk
      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I have launched many times from ft. Smallwood and fished the white rocks with success. Ft. Armsted is another good site as is Jonas green pk on the Severn by the naval academy.

Comment

Mark, thanks for the reply. From what I have been reading it seems like Ft. Smallwood gets pretty windy since it is on the point. I just bought a season pass so I will be trying out that launch site. Hope to see you out there, I have a Red Field and Stream kayak and i'll be the guy who doesn't know what he is doing yet haha.

Comment

Dhawk, thanks for the reply. I actually live right on Rock Creek and can see the white rocks from my backyard so I will most likely just launch from my backyard if I can clear a path. I have heard that Rock Creek has had some sewage spills in the past and some people say that they would never eat any fish out of there? Any truth to that? It's not like it is stagnant water so I can't imagine it being tainted. I'm pumped to get out there and get drug around by some stripers!

Comment

On the fly, I appreciate the reply I will have to check out those spots once it gets a little warmer.

Comment

McGee I eat fish out of rock and Stoney creek and I haven't had any negative effects that I know of ( depending on who you ask) I also crab off my kayak in Stoney creek if you like to bass fish there is a small pond called Yates pond you can paddle to it on rock creek a small drag over beach to pond and your bass fishing good luck see you on the water
                D Hawk

Comment

For those of you that fish the White Rocks off Ft. Smallwood, are you targeting the stripers? Vertical jigging? I fished a lot from the pier at Ft. Smallwood last year and was successful with the WP, etc. This time around I own a kayak so I'd love to get out there to the rocks.

Comment

I have jiged up striper a and blues cast. Spinners for perch and stripers bottom fished perch croakers catfish and stripers from that area I also troll a few area just to the east near the channel some nice stripers hang around there certain times of the year
                    D Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by McGee21122 View Post
                      Hey everyone, I just bought a kayak and just moved to the Pasadena area. I am looking forward to getting out on the water and was curious if anyone launches from Ft. Smallwood or Stony Creek. If so, do you have any tips for me? do the stripers run in that area? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
                      We are going out in the morning at beechwood park for the first time. It will put. Us in the magothy river. Will post a fishing report tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                        We are going out in the morning at beechwood park for the first time. It will put. Us in the magothy river. Will post a fishing report tomorrow.
                        If you havent been to Beachwood, just be advised that you might need two people to lift the kayak down the steps at the end of the trail. It can be a little tricky. Let us know how you do!

Comment

You can follow a trail off to the right all the way down to the water in the upper end of the cove at beechwood. Just need a good cart

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

What?! I didnt know that! I'm going to check that out for sure.

Comment

If you go past the main entrance there is a trail further down the road you have to lift your kayak over the rail but the trail is pretty easy from there to the water wit a cart
                              D Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X