Kayak Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Motor

Just ordered my new motor and motor mount.

Wanted something that was built for the Yak, not permanent, easily installed and removed, and gave the good thrust and efficient battery usage, built for saltwater. Also wanted to still use my Mirage drive if I needed more power or if I needed it as a center board or stabilizer. Wanted it all for under $500. Here's what I came up with:

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...ayakMount.html

http://www.trollingmotors.net/varima...k-edition.html

Sure hope I'm not disappointed

That's gonna be a blast. Once you get it all hooked up and running, we need to go trolling!
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

thats awesome....the hobie one looks pretty cool, i like the fact that you can mount it on the rudder but its way to $$$$$. Almost the price of a new hobie.
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
        That's gonna be a blast. Once you get it all hooked up and running, we need to go trolling!
        You Got it guy ......... maybe we can get all of the motor guys together at a meet and greet ......

got the engine from Sportsmansguide and they are out of stock till April. Have the Yak Yacht down at Easton KAyak getting outfitted and checked out. Could have done the stuff myself but they have done so much for us that I thought I'd give them some business.

I'm REALLY looking forward to trying it at the CBBT area to get into the places where the Tarpon live (if I can find them) and to the ocean cuts and to the Islands ......... each of those seem like they could be a long paddle ......

Kevin could give the best info on that.

Also the trolling will be awesome ......... will be able to smack the lures on the bridge pilings while trolling .......

Can't wait !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
          thats awesome....the hobie one looks pretty cool, i like the fact that you can mount it on the rudder but its way to $$$$$. Almost the price of a new hobie.
          THat Hobie IS cool ........ almost bought it but I want the mirage drive too ........ could be wrong but, even though it will create drag, I think the fins could bring a new level of control .......... left together and straight down, they will make a good center board ........... with the wings at 45 degree angles, I imagine, they would add more stability ......... also if I get into some VERY strong current, I could use the mirage drive as a power boost ..........

Just thoughts from a rank beginner .....

PS .......... next time you find a Hobie w/mirage drive for less than $500 ...... commit to it under my name and I will pay for it and a finders fee to you you ......... we will both be happy ........

Comment

They also make one that fits into the Hobie drive well. However, for the bay, a 55lb thrust motor would be better. With 30lb thrust, in moderate to heavy wave action, it takes the motor longer to recover after hitting waves. A 55lb thrust motor has more torque to recover faster. I tend to like the typical electric motor type over the Torqueedo, as it seems more practical. The light weight battery of the Torqueedo is nice at 6lbs, but $550-600 for a second batter is a bit much.

I had one of the side mount, motor mounts. I gave it to Chimo along with the Trident he bought from me. That mount worked really nice. I would lock the motor in straight and steer with the rudder. It is an inexpensive way to use an electric motor on a kayak. The motor mount is about $100. A small Minnkota Endura is about $120 and a battery. Hey an electric motor is trolling bliss. ...and when you don't want to use the motor, just take the rig out of the rod holders. Very utilitarian.

Comment

The next generation?!!?!

http://www.voltboats.com/k1/

About $3k

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                The next generation?!!?!

About $3k
                I'd pay 4k if she came with it .......

Why don't these people make them for fishing like the PA ....... shoot ..... that's where the money is .......... old farts like me that will sell their other stuff and buy the best ........ but they only build it for the cruiser that doen't have the need.

Guess I need to start designing one .......... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the power Idea though ........ If they built it for fishing I would buy 1

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                  The next generation?!!?!

About $3k
                  yeah the geriatric generation very nice MM, i still like the one that replaces the rudder on the hobie because you still have the mirage drive as back up and i still need the exercise

Comment

Wouldn't it be easy enough to just swap out the peddle drive for a motor while out on the water. Then just keep the peddle drive in the front hatch as a back up. That is what I plan on doing, should I get a pro-angler. Seems the drag of the fins in the water would be somwhat self defeating, with drag. The pro-angler should be stable enough for and during the swap. My plan, which is similar to what I plan with the OK Big Game, is to paddle or peddle out to the light house, then go on electric power for trolling out in the shipping channel. I will swap out the peddle drive for the electric motor.

I must admit, I am leaning towards the Island Hopper motor mount for the Hobie. However, a 30lb thrust is not enough. When their is wave action, it takes a 55lb thrust motor to keep up a steady speed. The Hobie is even wider than the Big Game, so it will possibly be affected more by the waves and chop. I will have to contact them to see if they can make up a 55lb thrust motor with the Hobie mount. I think I like the idea of using a regular battery, or two, for the motor. I just don't seem to have enough confidence in the Torqueedo batteries and motor. I hear the Torqueedo motor is only 30lbs thrust. The rig that I have rips right along for trolling. With the Big Game, it is nice to steer with the rudder pedals.
                    Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-18-2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      Wouldn't it be easy enough to just swap out the peddle drive for a motor while out on the water. Then just keep the peddle drive in the front hatch as a back up. That is what I plan on doing, should I get a pro-angler. Seems the drag of the fins in the water would be somwhat self defeating, with drag. The pro-angler should be stable enough for and during the swap. My plan, which is similar to what I plan with the OK Big Game, is to paddle or peddle out to the light house, then go on electric power for trolling out in the shipping channel. I will swap out the peddle drive for the electric motor.

I must admit, I am leaning towards the Island Hopper motor mount for the Hobie. However, a 30lb thrust is not enough. When their is wave action, it takes a 55lb thrust motor to keep up a steady speed. The Hobie is even wider than the Big Game, so it will possibly be affected more by the waves and chop. I will have to contact them to see if they can make up a 55lb thrust motor with the Hobie mount. I think I like the idea of using a regular battery, or two, for the motor. I just don't seem to have enough confidence in the Torqueedo batteries and motor. I hear the Torqueedo motor is only 30lbs thrust. The rig that I have rips right along for trolling. With the Big Game, it is nice to steer with the rudder pedals.
                      Probably don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't tried it but I want to keep the Mariage drive in so I can use it for stabilizing and for a power boost if necessary........ tides can be very strong @ CBBT ...... don't want to get swept out to sea .........

I know what you mean about the 30 lb thrust ....... saw some videos using 30 lbs and they seemed slow ......... the Mirage drive was faster then the 30 lb thrust ........ that's why I went w/the 45lb Motor guide. The guy @ Island Hopper swears that the 30 lb thrust is the fastest because of the displacement but I don't believe it .........

Comment

id rather not have to open the front hatch on the water and with the drive locked up i dont think they will make much difference in batt. life. im still waiting for an aftermarket jet drive for kayaks

Comment

I would have gone with the 45 also. That is why I have a 55 on the Big Game. Due to the lack of pitch on the prop of electric motors, there is a point of diminishing return, when it comes to the power of the motor. Someday, manufacturers will come to make an electric motor to power a kayak, with a prop made to move in open water. The prop on most electrics are designed to move a larger boat as quiet as possible at slower speeds, such as when bass fishing. So the prop is only going to move a kayak so fast. As I said, it has to do with pitch of the prop. One can see how flat the pitch of the prop is on an electic trolling motor. I read a long discussion, on another kayak forum in the past, from some guys who must have been engineers, about pitch vs power. The prop on the Torqueedo is better. However, I don't know about the overall set up of the Torqueedo, with the lithium battery. I have heard mixed opinions about those.

As I said in the other post. The Island Hopper, side mount is very effective on a kayak. It is as good as most and can be removed to return the kayak to original shape. I didn't really notice the weight of the motor on the side of the kayak. I did make a counter weight, placed on the opposite side of the mount. Anyone wanting to do any amount of trolling, may want to consider one. On most kayaks, a 30lb thrust motor is just fine for trolling. It is the wider kayaks that may benefit from the larger lb thrust motors. It is also a matter of run time, when considering the efficiency of the motor and the larger motors. Its a balance.

Surfdog: Sounds like you want to be the Red October, with a jet drive. However, if it is not an electric drive, it may be a bit noisy for shallow water fishing.

One must also consider, that you need running lights, with power. So that is another consideration, if you plan to fish early or late. I have portable lights, as I like to fish at night for croaker.
                          Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-19-2011, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            I would have gone with the 45 also. That is why I have a 55 on the Big Game. Due to the lack of pitch on the prop of electric motors, there is a point of diminishing return, when it comes to the power of the motor. Someday, manufacturers will come to make an electric motor to power a kayak, with a prop made to move in open water. The prop on most electrics are designed to move a larger boat as quiet as possible at slower speeds, such as when bass fishing. So the prop is only going to move a kayak so fast. As I said, it has to do with pitch of the prop. One can see how flat the pitch of the prop is on an electic trolling motor. I read a long discussion, on another kayak forum in the past, from some guys who must have been engineers, about pitch vs power. The prop on the Torqueedo is better. However, I don't know about the overall set up of the Torqueedo, with the lithium battery. I have heard mixed opinions about those.

As I said in the other post. The Island Hopper, side mount is very effective on a kayak. It is as good as most and can be removed to return the kayak to original shape. I didn't really notice the weight of the motor on the side of the kayak. I did make a counter weight, placed on the opposite side of the mount. Anyone wanting to do any amount of trolling, may want to consider one. On most kayaks, a 30lb thrust motor is just fine for trolling. It is the wider kayaks that may benefit from the larger lb thrust motors. It is also a matter of run time, when considering the efficiency of the motor and the larger motors. Its a balance.

Surfdog: Sounds like you want to be the Red October, with a jet drive. However, if it is not an electric drive, it may be a bit noisy for shallow water fishing.

One must also consider, that you need running lights, with power. So that is another consideration, if you plan to fish early or late. I have portable lights, as I like to fish at night for croaker.
                            Dude ....... you're sooooo right ........ decades ago Minnkota redesigned their props to give more thrust ......... problem was that the lexan wouldn't hold up and the blades literally fell off .........

The Island Hopper comes with counter weights.

I have several electric engines that I can use but I wanted something that woild last the longest, have adequate thrust and have a short shaft ...... if the 45 isn't adequate then I'll use the others and deal with the weight and length ........

Comment

I like it! Please post a report when you get it all together!

MYT

Comment

Working...
                              X