Best Kayak for the Flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Kayak for the Flats

I'm thinking of buying a sit-on-top kayak for use on the Susquehanna Flats. Preferably one that weighs no more than 50 lbs. What do you veteran Flats fisherfolk recommend?

Anything that allows you to cover a lot of water. Sparky and I both got Torqeedos for our Outbacks and the flats fishing was a big reason for that. Several of us were out today and I'd venture to say we'd put in over 15 miles.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

at 50 lbs??? options will be limited but u can probably find a tarpon 120 ultra light that will perform well (dicontinued last year but there are some around and there are some guys here that have the hurricane and eddyline yaks that are light and fishable
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Why is weight a factor for you? Hauling & launching it? YakFishs' advice is going to set you back 3-4k...do you have a price range you wanna work with? No doubt paddling the Flats is tougher than peddling & definitely not as ez as using an electric motor but you can catch fish doing any of the three.
        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Yea the Tarpon is almost 65# and when you get one under 50# its going to be a cheaper kayak made with thin plastic. less volume, makes less weight, but not a strong kayak.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
          X