Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery,motor powered kayaks

To All,

We do not want to leave anyone out, we will consider a battery powered kayak division separate from peddle/paddle power. If we get five or six entrants we will run this division. One stipulation would be that the kayaks entered are actually designed with a motor by a major kayak manufacture i.e. Hobie Pro Angler, OK Torque.

Sorry but I don't think that is fair. Kayak fishing gear is an evolving sport with new pieces of equipment coming from garages every day. Limiting this to just the major manufacturers is just not right. THere are smaller shops and DIY stuff that can benefit all not just the commerical interests. Even the great Hobie can use improvement. For example, the seat in the PA is to close to the tackle hatch making it easy to open and close. The seat is not adjustable and the pedalling is uncomfortable for some people. THere is a seat slide that is made by a small manufacturer that fixes that but it is not made or sold by Hobie.

Another example is the Islandhoppermotors engine mount. Some people like me don't want a permanently installed engine or 1 that replaces the Mirage drive. I want something that is easily removable, allows me to use my mirage drive as a power boost, center board or stabilizer depending on the position of the fins and allow my selection of engines ............ Islandhopper does this for about $400 with the engine ......... Hobie and the rest don't and they cost well over $1000 ........

THis should not be limited to only the major manufacturers.

If this is just for your tournament then this is still not fair ......... will you also limit the other yak mods to just those supplied by the manufacturers? THe meet and greets and tournaments are a place to get together. People also show off their latest modifications .......... the manufactures also benefit because they get new ideas for new products .......... I'm sure Hobie didn't think up all of their ideas on the PA on their own.

A fishing tournament is about fishing skills. THe best fishermen with no mods will outfish any techno filled poor fisherman ......... so why would you limit it to just the motors that Hobie etc sells for outrageous prices .......

Just my opinion

Comment

i agree with rick on this one....
      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I agree as well...a motorized kayak is a motorized kayak IMO.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          Sorry but I don't think that is fair. Kayak fishing gear is an evolving sport with new pieces of equipment coming from garages every day. Limiting this to just the major manufacturers is just not right. THere are smaller shops and DIY stuff that can benefit all not just the commerical interests. Even the great Hobie can use improvement. For example, the seat in the PA is to close to the tackle hatch making it easy to open and close. The seat is not adjustable and the pedalling is uncomfortable for some people. THere is a seat slide that is made by a small manufacturer that fixes that but it is not made or sold by Hobie.

Another example is the Islandhoppermotors engine mount. Some people like me don't want a permanently installed engine or 1 that replaces the Mirage drive. I want something that is easily removable, allows me to use my mirage drive as a power boost, center board or stabilizer depending on the position of the fins and allow my selection of engines ............ Islandhopper does this for about $400 with the engine ......... Hobie and the rest don't and they cost well over $1000 ........

THis should not be limited to only the major manufacturers.

If this is just for your tournament then this is still not fair ......... will you also limit the other yak mods to just those supplied by the manufacturers? THe meet and greets and tournaments are a place to get together. People also show off their latest modifications .......... the manufactures also benefit because they get new ideas for new products .......... I'm sure Hobie didn't think up all of their ideas on the PA on their own.

A fishing tournament is about fishing skills. THe best fishermen with no mods will outfish any techno filled poor fisherman ......... so why would you limit it to just the motors that Hobie etc sells for outrageous prices .......

Just my opinion
          + 1
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
            To All,

We do not want to leave anyone out, we will consider a battery powered kayak division separate from peddle/paddle power. If we get five or six entrants we will run this division. One stipulation would be that the kayaks entered are actually designed with a motor by a major kayak manufacture i.e. Hobie Pro Angler, OK Torque.
            To clarify, we want as many participants as possible, the rules for motorized kayaks in torunamnets are still evolving, in fact many tournaments still don't allow battery powered kayaks. Other motorized kayaks besides Hobie and OK will definately be allowed

The rules I have read have two basic ideas, that motorized kayaks have there own division (since they can cover much more territory) and the concern is some souped up yak/boat that someome builds in their garage gives them an advantage.

The whole idea behind the rules is to keep the tournament friendly, most important of all is for everyone to have a good time and raise lots of money for our charity.

Comment

Sorry but I don't think it makes a difference ......... none of the regular tournaments (bass and saltwater) put a limit on the gas motor Horsepower ....... it's not how much power you have but how well you fish ........

But .....then again ...... it's your tournament .......

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                Sorry but I don't think it makes a difference ......... none of the regular tournaments (bass and saltwater) put a limit on the gas motor Horsepower ....... it's not how much power you have but how well you fish ........

But .....then again ...... it's your tournament .......
                Since allowing motorized kayaks is new to tournaments appreciate all your comments.

Just like any kind of tournamant, there has to be some kind of limit/standard set that allows the tournament to make good decisions.

This is just a for instance but what if someone asked if they can enter their bass boat and only use a trolling motor with a battery?

Again the whole idea is to set a standard and keep it friendly, we will do our best

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
                  Since allowing motorized kayaks is new to tournaments appreciate all your comments.

Just like any kind of tournamant, there has to be some kind of limit/standard set that allows the tournament to make good decisions.

This is just a for instance but what if someone asked if they can enter their bass boat and only use a trolling motor with a battery?

Again the whole idea is to set a standard and keep it friendly, we will do our best
                  True ....... but a bass boat isn't a Kayak ........ then again ....... Hobie classifies a PA as a small boat so what do you do with that ........

On another related subject, I think it's great that you guys are going for a tournament ..... it will be a fun day ......... but the liability scares the Hell out of me ......... especially if it is held around the Bay Bridge ......... lots of boat traffic and lots of Yaks ...... anything can go wrong .......

Just some things to consider if you haven't already ..... although you probably have

A 2 mile trek to the BB is a long way if you get a 2 ft or better chop and you are trying to get back against tides and wind and inexperienced yakr's ....... you may want a couple of rescue boats ....... 22ft + Center consoles w/ladders would be best.

Require everyone to have safey equipment and checked including radios w/a frequency for the tournament ...... coast guard AUX might be able to help .....

Iron tight liability releases ......... although you can go bankrupt just defending yourself even though you win and even when they sign a release ......... just because you are incorporated and insured doesn't fully protect you against liability ........

And the most important is to consider how you would feel if someone got hurt or worse participating in a fun well intentioned event .......

One incident happened happen at a charity event I was part of ....... 1 boat mostly sank in about 2 minutes and everyone was in the water but other boats were there in seconds and everyone was picked up .... shakened but ok and the boat was recovered ..... but I still am haunted by the thought of what would have happened if the kid in the wheelchair was on that boat ......... thank God they didn't sue ...... and these boats were inspected ......

I'm REALLY not trying to rain on your parade ......... but I would rather you deal w/a little rain, if you take it that way, then deal with a Tsunomi ..........

The tournament is a good thing and it will bring attention and people to the club/site .......... but PLEASE go overboard all aspects of safety and contigency plans .........

I am very hesitant in posting this because because I don't want any concerns or divisions ...... I REALLY like everyone here .....but I would not want anything to affect the things we have here ...... this is definitely the best group of Yakers and I love what we have here ........... but please plan for everything that could happen .........

no comments necessary ........ it's not intended to start a debate ...... just thought

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for your input, we have looked at all items you listed. We will have a set of rules with first few rules dealing with safety. We have had very valuable input from Hobie Fishing, and several directors of big tournaments.

Also no sponsor, charity etc would even consider participating unless we have insurance.

The USCG and DNR will both be notified.

As to the motor powered boats, we have to set a standard. Someone could build a boat in their garage, make it look like a bass boat/john boat or any other boat and call it a "kayak". That is why we are considering the rule that the kayak must be from a manufacture who builds the craft specifically as a "kayak". As history tells us we do not want to be discussing the true meaning of "is" or "kayak" on the day of the tournament. We want to be having a good time.

Bryan

Comment

Ahh yes, we BassYak guys can now rest. That did it Memory, "small boat," your out of here! Just kidding, Just kidding. I can see it now, you would look like Earl Weaver at the rules table. I had to chuckle at that thought. Maybe the motorized division could be called the Geezer Division. Got to keep it fun, that is what tournaments are all about.

Think about it, what if one competitor shows up with one of those Hobie kayaks with sails. They could really cover some water trolling, or moving from area to area. Oh no, another consideration.

I think I'll just help out at the tournament, just not at the rules table.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                        Ahh yes, we BassYak guys can now rest. That did it Memory, "small boat," your out of here! Just kidding, Just kidding. I can see it now, you would look like Earl Weaver at the rules table. I had to chuckle at that thought. Maybe the motorized division could be called the Geezer Division. Got to keep it fun, that is what tournaments are all about.

Think about it, what if one competitor shows up with one of those Hobie kayaks with sails. They could really cover some water trolling, or moving from area to area. Oh no, another consideration.

I think I'll just help out at the tournament, just not at the rules table.
                        Now that's funny !!!!! .......OH .... and How did you know I was looking for a sail? ........

Comment

Is the PA, for tournaments, considered a kayak?

As I just bought one, I'm curious as to the concensus. This arguement has been going on for years. There are still many that don't consider mirage drive equipped boats real kayaks.

So, the line is where the club agrees it is. I would be dissapointed that I couldn't use my PA but I could understand and live with the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
                            As I just bought one, I'm curious as to the concensus. This arguement has been going on for years. There are still many that don't consider mirage drive equipped boats real kayaks.

So, the line is where the club agrees it is. I would be dissapointed that I couldn't use my PA but I could understand and live with the decision.
                            No ........ there is no line to cross with the club ....... this thread was about the tournament they are putting on not the "club" .........

The "club" is just a bunch of Yaker Dudes with the old sufer dudes attitude .......... different people ....... different personalities ....... different equipment ......... all enjoying each others company .......... no rules and no structure to ruin it ........ just show up and have fun ........

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post

Hey BadAssBass, I saw your new PA at Lowes last night in Easton, Ryan stopped by while I was inside the store, Nice looking boat.

CBKA and the tournament are separate from the forum. The owners of Snaggedline are giving us the chance to promote the tournament and are sponsors. All the guys involved met here on the forum.

As for the tournament, pedal (including PA's) and paddled kayaks will compete in the same divisions. Electric powered kayaks are welcome to participate and if we get enough entries we will give prizes in an "electric division".

The real fun of the tournament is getting together, talking fishing, camping and meeting other kayakers, plus supporting our charity.

We don't want to leave anyone out. We are hoping to attract entrants from all over the east coast. One reason several of us are going up to NY in a couple weeks to fish the Jamacia Bay tourney, about 350 kayakers there. Hoping to get 50 to 100 in our tournament.

Bryan

Comment

Working...
                              X