the prespawn is on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the prespawn is on!

Fished a reservoir in central Maryland yesterday. Besides battling the wind I also got into some good bass fishing. It took me a while to find them but once I figured out what they were up to the action (while not fast) was at least consistent.

Much of the reservoir was 49 to 50 degrees so I spent many hours checking a creek channel at various depths with nothing to show for it. Finally I found a south facing shoreline where the water near shore was 53 to 54 degrees. I started pitching a 3/8 football head jig with a tiny paca craw into the laydowns in water 2 to 4 feet deep.

The crushers on these bass were red (which usually means they are hunting and eating crayfish). Fun day. Spring seems to have finally blessed us with her presence.

Last edited by Turtle135; 04-06-2014, 11:01 AM.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Wow.... I don't think you could have been more dialed in. Congrats to a day like that! Nice work!

Justin

Comment

How much u think the bass weighed? (The one with u holding it up). Dont think i ever caught on that big. Good job!
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice job Dave!! Way to dial it in
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Very nice! Were they shallow, building nests?
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Nice bass ! That last one is a chunk . The fish are finally starting to get a bit active. I fished a local pond yesterday catching eight , all small. Still needed a slow presentation. Nice going !
            John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
              How much u think the bass weighed? (The one with u holding it up). Dont think i ever caught on that big. Good job!
              Based on the body condition I would guess about 6 to 6.5 pounds.

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              Very nice! Were they shallow, building nests?
              I do not think that they are trying to spawn yet, I think they are feeding up to get themselves ready for the spawn. They were up shallow as that is where the warmest water can be found right now.
              Dave

Comment

No, they shouldn't be in spawning mode yet...I was thinking moving in to the shallows; pre-spawn.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Awesome fish! Doesn't look like a shortage of action, that's for sure.

Comment

Way to go, nice looking bass.

Comment

Hog Alert!!!!

Comment

Wow. I got out four 3 hours yesterday afternoon, and got skunked. I didn't feel too bad. I ran across about a half dozen other guys fishing that were getting the same result. Glad you found them! Good job!
                        Hurricane Skimmer 128
                        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Really nice fish! Hope the tide river bass start doing the same very soon.
                          Mike

Comment

Dave-I think I may have seen you out there as I prepared to launch. Needless to say, you did much better than me. Very impressive!!!
                            John D.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                            GO RAVENS!!!
                            GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
                              Dave-I think I may have seen you out there as I prepared to launch. Needless to say, you did much better than me. Very impressive!!!
                              Thanks, I was out there on Sunday afternoon as well but my results on the "blue bird" day were much more pedestrian with some 13" to 15" largemouth.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X