Maddening day at Cunningham Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maddening day at Cunningham Falls

I made the drive up to Cunningham Falls today armed with worms power bait and rooster tails. The trout were jumping around my yak like tarpon... Got one strike on a yellow/green rooster tail. Couldn't get them to care about anything else.

That teaches me to not bring my fly rod and box with me.

I did manage to catch one 6" or 7" crappie off of some power bait grubs. So at least I didn't get skunked.

What were you casting on your fly rod?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That's just it... I didn't bring my fly rod. I will next time.

Comment

I've never fished Cunningham Falls, how is it from shore? I'd have three sons in tow, so using the kayak would not be happening.

Comment

Mmacro - I thought you'd be tearing them up from a kayak. Did you have a FF on board? Did it show any fish? I was wondering about the fish that were jumping out of the water. Many times fresh stock trout will swirl and jump for quite a while after stocking just for the heck of it. They may not have been feeding unless you actually saw bugs flying around and floating on the surface.

tomas - The entire shoreline is accessible for fishing except the cove where the swimming beaches are located. However, most of the fishing shoreline is heavily wooded. That could be a major problem for young kids new to fishing... been there, done that with my 3 kids. The dam breast is not wooded and might be a good place for your kids to fish.

There is also a small wooden fishing pier located at the boat ramp. But I'm thinking young kids might get board there.

Half the lake is on the pay-to-enter portion of the lake and the other half of the lake that has the boat ramp is free.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

There is limited shore space by the dam and on the campground side by the beach. You cannot fish within the designated swimming areas of course.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mmacro,

I misunderstood your post. I'm sorry.

You might try wooly buggers and/or Clousers on your fly rod.

Stocked trout have an affinity for minnow imitations which I've never understood since they probably were fed only pellets in the hatchery.

I guess those basic instincts are still alive and they learn quickly when introduced into the wild.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Mmacro,

I misunderstood your post. I'm sorry.

You might try wooly buggers and/or Clousers on your fly rod.

Stocked trout have an affinity for minnow imitations which I've never understood since they probably were fed only pellets in the hatchery.

I guess those basic instincts are still alive and they learn quickly when introduced into the wild.
                yes that love for minnow imitations is odd but certainly evident

That being said, a buddy if mine and I used to tie a "Pellet fly" that worked for fed fish......spun deer, elk or antelope hair trimmed into a squarish shape...it caught some fish.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                X