DIY Kayak Leash Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Kayak Leash Idea

Just thinking out loud here so bear with me. ive been wandering around my house looking for old cell phone chargers with coiled cords to use for leashes and got blanked.

Ive been making these slinky type strike indicators for fly fishing to use when the water is too low and clear to use anything else. You take a short section of hivis mono like 15-20lbs and tightly wrap it around a pen/pencil -tape the ends -boil it and then freeze it overnight. it makes a section of line with tight coils that casts well and when a fish takes a nymph it comes uncoiled. I was thinking that maybe you could do the same thing to make a coiled rod leash. You could take like 80lb mono and wrap it tightly around something flexible like a garden hose boil it in a big kitchen pot/crab pot then toss the section of old hose in the freezer. anyway im going to try it this weekend.
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Just me or what?- what's the big deal about having to have the slinky coiled leashes? Seems to me the whole purpose of a leash is to secure the rod/paddle/other to the yak in case of turtling. Why not use a short section of 80-100 # mono and a heavy coastlock snap swivel to the eyes on the deck? It would be cheap and you could replace at will for next to nothing. I bought a paddle lease when I bought my paddle but if I had it to do over- I think I would save that $19.99 for fishing terminal tackle and make my own leash.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

mdmakaira--you could use weedwhacker line and boil it, too.

I'm not sure I like the coiled idea, though, because I think the coils tangle everything. I just use some thin rope from Lowes. It seems to be relatively tangle-free so far. Whatever you use, I would make sure I could cut it easily in case you get tangled after you turtle.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

There is a guy with a post on SOL about that. I picked up so weedwacker cord the other day with the intent on making some to try it out. My struggle has been acquiring leader sleeves to have a clean finish to them. Cabelas has them but it almost costs more to ship them then the actual product.

I loke coiled leashes because it allows for a longer leash but when that extra length isnt needed, the slack is taken up by the coil. I leash everything down and I have a few that I purchased from Home Depot for keys but they only extend out to about 3 feet, and at 3 feet its pulling back. So fighting a fish is fighting a leash and a fish sometimes.

post up a pick of your strike indicator... im interested to see how you tie it into your leader. Does it float or do you put some fly floatant on it?

Comment

I strap down my rods while in the crate with bungie cord. I attach the crate with turn buckles, so there is a good sturdy connection. I use the scotty rod lock while the rods are in the scotty holders, with the addition of a little para cord. I just can't get used to using a leash on the rod that I am fishing with. I have the paddle holders up front to lay the rod in, when re-rigging or taking a fish off the line, so the rod won't slip off the kayak. Just can't get used to that leash thing.

However, with that said, I have made a paddle leash with a long phone cord from the dollar store. I just use a crimp on the cord. I suppose you could use some shrink tube. It is only a paddle leash afterall. With all that done, I decided, I don't like to use a paddle leash either.

Comment

ive tried the phone cords from the $1 store and weedeater line and other things but i found that braided masons line with a breaking strength of 7lbs works great it hangs out of the way and strong enough to keep my rods from sinking and its breakable if i flip and get tangled. i saw some retractable hanging pot hangers on tv and thought that they would be nice if they can hold a heavy hanging basket they would work until the salt ate them

Comment

I know, I have pretty much given up on the leash idea. I don't use one on my paddle or the rod that I am currently using. I have a bungee cord on my crate to keep the rods in the holders and some straps and some floats to keep some other things secure and safe. I keep a knife on my belt, in case I should become entangled. I started to have a leash on everything. Your right, we could save our equipment and drown in the process.

Comment

I am a total novice at this but it seems to me that turtling a fishing kayak is a fairly rare occurrence if you are careful not to lean way out and unbalance the kayak- most of the fishing kayaks are designed to be a lot more "turtle resistant" than a sport or the sea kayak. How many have turtled their yaks and what were you doing that cause it to roll over?

I have some pretty nice rods and reels that I wouldn't want to lose in the event it rolled over in deep water but I have nothing I would risk my life to save- I plan to have a leash (I bought one) on my paddle mainly in case I drop it while fishing and secure two of my more expensive rods and reels- the crate will be attached to the yak by bungee cords and should stay in place no matter what and I have the smaller hook type bungees across the top of it to keep the clear plastic Plano boxes in place. the handheld ICom M-34 is going on my pfd so I don't worry about losing that- the Hummingbird 570 DI is waterproof and will be held in place on the Scotty fish finder mount securely, so I should be OK in case of a roll over. I have a drytop from NRS and a pair of breathable stocking foot waders with a belt. If I get in the water, getting back in the Kayak seems a straight forward technique that I have watched demonstrated several times on You Tube- I haven't practiced it but it doesn't look difficult.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  I am a total novice at this but it seems to me that turtling a fishing kayak is a fairly rare occurrence if you are careful not to lean way out and unbalance the kayak- most of the fishing kayaks are designed to be a lot more "turtle resistant" than a sport or the sea kayak. How many have turtled their yaks and what were you doing that cause it to roll over?

I have some pretty nice rods and reels that I wouldn't want to lose in the event it rolled over in deep water but I have nothing I would risk my life to save- I plan to have a leash (I bought one) on my paddle mainly in case I drop it while fishing and secure two of my more expensive rods and reels- the crate will be attached to the yak by bungee cords and should stay in place no matter what and I have the smaller hook type bungees across the top of it to keep the clear plastic Plano boxes in place. the handheld ICom M-34 is going on my pfd so I don't worry about losing that- the Hummingbird 570 DI is waterproof and will be held in place on the Scotty fish finder mount securely, so I should be OK in case of a roll over. I have a drytop from NRS and a pair of breathable stocking foot waders with a belt. If I get in the water, getting back in the Kayak seems a straight forward technique that I have watched demonstrated several times on You Tube- I haven't practiced it but it doesn't look difficult.
                  I look at it this way... I never plan to turtle, crash my bike, rear end the idiot that stopped in the high speed easy pass, etc. but I always wear my pfd, helmet and seatbelt... sometimes all at the same time in the car . I'd rather leash down everything and risk nothing and thats my personal preferance. I usually have a neck knife and a leg knife in the event i get fouled up in something or have to ditch my anchor in a hurry. Its all up to the individual. If a rod leash bothers you check out the floats... just make sure you have a big enough one to float your rod. Atlantaking on pier and surf had one on his boga and decided to see if it would float on the potomac... it didnt

But yo back on topic... I found this thread on SOL http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=727139

Comment

better to be safe than sorry, turtling happens when you least expect it, a couple of ways i know that some very experienced yak anglers got dumped were when they were getting stuff out of the crate and not sitting side saddle to get it the other was getting hit by a wake broadside while sitting side saddle and not paying attention. it can happen any time so you might as well be prepared. hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Comment

Working...
                    X