How Early For Snakeheads and Bass on Tidal Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Early For Snakeheads and Bass on Tidal Potomac

So how early/when do the snakeheads and bass start waking up on the tidal Potomac? The earliest I've ever fished down that way is the last week of April.

General observations are that Potomac Pike seem to feed best when water temps are 68+. But, they are active earlier than that:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...es/130430.html

Comment

They should start soon and you can get them well before 60 degrees, but this year has been much colder longer than normal. Get the sun out on those shallows and they might start getting active.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I fished Mattawoman today(went right out of Slavins) for 6 hours and couldnt buy a bite!. Water temperature was around 51 degrees. I fished deep and shallow, I tried jigs, wacky rig, spinner baits, topwater, chatterbaits...you name it. It was a beautiful dau and my first real fish outing on my PA 12 so I still had a good time.

Comment

They should start to become active. A friend went fishing today and he hooked up 2. They are getting active but you won't see a lot of them until May

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
            They should start to become active. A friend went fishing today and he hooked up 2. They are getting active but you won't see a lot of them until May
            I was thinking it was about time. My ff was reading about 52-54 at Mattawoman last weekend which is when they are supposed to start coming out of hibernation. Looks like I need to keep an eye open for them

Comment

Working...
            X