Lower Susquehanna River on 03/29/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Susquehanna River on 03/29/14

Finally got into more than just a bass or two on Saturday's fishing trip. Lower Susquehanna River where there is a mix of largemouth and smallmouth bass. After the brutal winter we had it feels great to find some actively feeding bass.

Most of the bass I caught came on the jig. This is a 3/8th ounce football headed jig that I tie with a living rubber skirt. I like these sparsely tied jigs when the water is still cold.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Very Nice. I still havent gotten out yet this year and definately getting cabin fever.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice! Did you launch from Lapidum?
      Native Slayer 12
      Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
        Nice! Did you launch from Lapidum?
        further north, up in PA
        Dave

Comment

Nice job Dave!
          One of my goals this year is to catch some fish on one of your jig set-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            Nice job Dave! One of my goals this year is to catch some fish on one of your jig set-ups.
            upper end of Rocky Gorge once prespawn really gets underway would be the perfect place to get some confidence in that presentation
            Dave

Comment

Dave, is 3/8 ounce your standard weight?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                Dave, is 3/8 ounce your standard weight?
                When the water is cold I use a lot of 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs. When the water is warmer (post spawn) or if I am fishing 30 feet down I may bump up to 1/2 ounce but that is about as heavy as I go. If I am looking for a larger profile than a 1/2 ounce jig with a trailer then I start throwing the 10" or 12" ribbon tail plastic worms on the Confidence Baits Draggin' Heads.

The 1/4 ounce jigs are a good way to build confidence in that presentation. I can use a 1/4 ounce down to about 10-12 feet of water. That lighter jig head with a small profile trailer will get bit by more bass than the heavier bulkier jigs will. Once you start pulling larger bass out of an area that you have already worked over with a spinnerbait or a crankbait it becomes much easier to have faith in sticking with the jig.
                Dave

Comment

Nice going Dave!! Be careful if anyone is attempting the Susky this week. Starting on Tuesday, 1-9 spill gates will be open due to the recent rain. This will most likely cloud the flats up for the weekend
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Beautiful fish. Glad they came out to play with you!
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                    X