Rigging a Prowler 13 Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging a Prowler 13 Angler

Brought home my new Ocean kayak 13 Prowler Angler yesterday from West Marine in Annapolis. This morning I woke up still on EST thinking it is six when it is five...got on my laptop and ordered some rigging hardware for my new baby. GTS Expedition seat was my top priority and used up much of my budget, but my butt is gonna love it. I also ordered a Scotty multi mount with a Scotty fish finder mount and two Scotty rod holders that is going up front. I have everything I need ( pulleys, stainless steel 2 inch diameter ring, eyes, clam cleat, stainless rivets, stainless pad eyes, hardware, etc.) for an anchor trolley system. Bought the foam car top carrier kit so I could drive it home.

I'll take pictures as the install comes together. I am going to install a Hummingbird 570DI on the Scotty mount and install a suspended battery holder like the one that comes in the Trident. I'll use the scupper transducer mount instead of thru hull.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Congrats on your new yak. I have an OK Prowler as well. I will be getting my rod holders and flush mounts this weekend. I plan on pitting mine up front as well. Im contemplating to use the compact flush mounts between the middle hatch and sonar shield or to the left and rightbof the sonar shield. Where are you mounting yours? Also you may want to consider extenders for your rod holds depending where you put them. Look forward to seeing your set up.

Comment

jumping in with both feet! Sounds like you have the rigging planned out in your mind. Im interested in hearing about what you end up doing!

Comment

I was told by Humminbird that they do not make a scupper mount transducer for any of their down imaging products. You plan on rigging something up or did I get bad information?
        Digital Livewell

Comment

Originally posted by the_kegs View Post
          I was told by Humminbird that they do not make a scupper mount transducer for any of their down imaging products. You plan on rigging something up or did I get bad information?
          Bummer- I had my heart set on the scupper transducer setup but I definitely want the DI product- no matter what. My order is going in as I write this for the Hummingbird...got a halfway decent price with shipping under $300.

Comment

Whoa, sounds like you have been reading up on the forum and planning ahead. Good going.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanesezero View Post
              jumping in with both feet! Sounds like you have the rigging planned out in your mind. Im interested in hearing about what you end up doing!
              I don't know about that JZ, but I do know that I never do anything halfway- it's either whole hog or nothing.

The biggest two investments over the purchase price (on sale for $569) of the Prowler is the seat and the fish finder. The seat is $156 (on sale) and the fish finder in $269.99 plus S&h of $9.95, so for roughly a thousand dollars or so I'll have a fully rigged salt water fishing kayak, brand new, never been wet. If you look at the purchase price of similiar rigged fishing kayaks without a down imaging fish finder, none are less than a grand. And according to every review I have read, I'll have the Porsche of sit on top kayak seats in the GTS Expedition. My old butt deserves a great seat.

If I find I don't like kayak fishing (and I don't think that is likely) I believe I can get my money out of this rig. And if that is the case it won't be because I didn't have a good kayak for the kind of fishing I was trying to do. For fresh water lakes and rivers, the MDC Synergy should be tops. For salt water, The 13 Prowler Angler and Trident are featured in many extreme fishing videos on You Tube and the ones I saw launched from the beach in the surf in several. So I figured it was a very good choice for fishing Chesapeake Bay.

Comment

make sure you the right rivet not an automotive style rivet you need

if you use the normal automotive style it will pull out quickly

Comment

OK Prowler 13

My new OK Prowler is in the basement being rigged. 2 flush mount scotty rod holders to left and right, and just forward of the sonar sheild.Probably going to need to purchase a 6" extender for the rod holder. Working on a milk crate for more storage. Waiting to purchase a humminbird 385ci in the next few weeks. spoke to gentleman at BPS this afternoon, want to thank him for letting me pick his brain.

GOOD FISHIN' EVERYONE
                  good fishing all !
                  go tandem or go alone !

Freefall Gemini Tandem

OK Prowler Trident 13 FINALLY in the water !
                  a floating work in progress

Comment

Sounds great, keep us updated with photos of your progress- pictures let everyone in on new ideas as well as the tried and proven rigging. I got a lot of my ideas off of You Tube videos. Never had an original idea, so I have to dig for answers. The right rivets are a great thing to know so thank you to the forum friends who know and share their knowledge. Thanks for helping me avoid a mistake. I am an inside machinist by trade so I am fairly handy with mechanical tools and measuring things to scale but there is a lot to learn about rigging.

I figured I didn't need the added GPS feature on my fish finder as I don't think giving out the GPS numbers when we find schooled up fish would do most kayakers any good due to the distance limitations of a non powered boat. If we are close we can shout or if equipped with handheld vhf radios, call our fishing partners. I thought the down imaging feature would be more useful to me and a slightly larger screen. The color screen would be nice but adding it adds another hundred dollars to the fish finder.

All my orders have shipped- can't wait to get them in and start!
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-17-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

My Hummingbird 570 DI fish finder came in yesterday two days after shipping from Anchor Express.com- excellent service and a good price. Everything else I ordered should be in by Tuesday for me to start outfitting. Outdoorplay.com is the source for seat and Hook1 is the hardware. One of the reasons I jumped on a fish finder so fast is the situation in Japan- Japan is the major source for electronics- no one knows how the nuclear situation will play out over the next few days, months, years...I thought that if I wanted one at a decent price I'd better get it now.
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-18-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
                        Congrats on your new yak. I have an OK Prowler as well. I will be getting my rod holders and flush mounts this weekend. I plan on pitting mine up front as well. Im contemplating to use the compact flush mounts between the middle hatch and sonar shield or to the left and rightbof the sonar shield. Where are you mounting yours? Also you may want to consider extenders for your rod holds depending where you put them. Look forward to seeing your set up.
                        I am putting the Scotty multi-mount right above the cup holder, dead center- on the mount, the center position will be for my fish finder- the Hummingbird 570 DI. I ordered the two different Scotty rod holders, the bait caster and the universal- they will go on each side of the fish finder. I also ordered the extenders for the rod holders in case I want added height- I plan on using these when I am anchored or drifting live and natural baits so I can have them in front of me....when trolling, I am not sure I'll use them- probably use the rocket launchers that fit in the flush mounts that are standard equipment from OK. I wanted something I could take off the kayak in case I just want to cast lures for bass fishing in lakes and freshwater rivers- the Scotty mounting system seems to be the right solution for me and is featured in a lot of YOU TUBE yak rigging tip videos on the INTERNET.

What I haven't figured out (YET) is a fish stringer system to harvest my catch- I see fish bags advertised and I see the OK fish stringer system. What method do you use- what type system?

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-19-2011, 05:16 PM. Reason: Question

Comment

You figure out how you're going to mount the transducer yet?
                          Digital Livewell

Comment

I will talk to Hummingbird support Monday about options- if they don't make a thru hull scupper transducer for their down imaging products yet- I will make do with the transducer that came with the unit mounted inside the hull in a wet well system using duct seal- I finished the anchor trolley, so as soon as my seat and hardware come in (promised delivery by end of day on 3/23), I'll be ready to take it out on its inaugural outing.

Comment

inaugural outing

good luck with that
                              good fishing all !
                              go tandem or go alone !

Freefall Gemini Tandem

OK Prowler Trident 13 FINALLY in the water !
                              a floating work in progress

Comment

Working...
                              X