Mariner pt slabs (a two day event)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariner pt slabs (a two day event)

Hit Mariner pt with Sparky and Dave yesterday and the morning started off SLOOOOOOW.... The first three hours yielded one baby yellow perch and a turtle.
    DSCN6188.jpg
    Dave had enough after this and called it a day and headed in. Sparky and I were trying to figure out our next move when we heard from another fisherman that the Crappie were biting in another section of the river, so we motored on over and tried to improve our luck. Well, another hour went by and no bites came. Sparky had enough and headed in, but risking being in the doghouse when I got home, I pushed on and was rewarded for my perseverance...
    DSCN6189.jpg
    I found the Crappies too and caught 25-30 pretty quickly with most of them small, but found 6 @ 10.5-11.75", to take home
    10007235_10101388258840135_1649915579_n.jpg

With the good action yesterday, and a slight reprieve from the wife given my upcoming birthday, I went back today to pickup where I left off yesterday. The action wasn't as fast today, and I probably caught fewer crappie, but overall the size of the fish was better. I again kept 6, this time @ 10.5"-13.5", to take home. Here are the best of the day:
    DSCN6192.jpgDSCN6191.jpg
    Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Way to persevere and get some fish.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Nice Job Ryan! Five hours without a strike...seemed pointless for me to continue. Way to stick it out!! I will be back before the flats warm up
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I see I chose the wrong place to fish yesterday. How deep were the bass?
        Mike

Comment

I only caught the one bass. I was using minnows, 2' under a bobber fishing the docks.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Were the crappies near the docks also or at the quarry?

Comment

I didn't go to the quarry
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work on the fish!!! Way to stick it out!

Comment

Some nice fish! I was out there all day Friday with no luck, ima try again within the week

Comment

Mariner's is a nice location. I had a banner day thee last summer. I'll have to give the Crappie there a try. Nice job!
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

where do you launch at Mariners Pt? I've driven by there off of Joppa Farms Rd, but never went to check it out. Can you give me some intel?
                      Ryan
                      BPS Ascend FS10 Sit In
                      Jackson KilRoy Sit In

Comment

Take Joppa farm rd to right on to Kearney drive and that will take you to the park. There is boat ramps there or kayak and canoe launch area.

Comment

Originally posted by kayak tony View Post
                          Take Joppa farm rd to right on to Kearney drive and that will take you to the park. There is boat ramps there or kayak and canoe launch area.
                          The kayak launch is in past the boat ramp at the overflow trailer parking lot. It says trailer parking only but I have parked my car there almost every time and no one has said anything. I just wouldn't recommend risking it on busy weekends. During the week most of the trailers fit in the lot closer to the ramp anyway.
                          Mike

Comment

Its a lot easier to just launch from the ramp. The kayak launch at mariner pt is terrible. There is parking for vehicles without trailers in the lot across from the ramp.
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X