Fletchers Cove first run 3/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletchers Cove first run 3/22

Did a lunch launch out of Fletcher's cove today. Water clarity was decent for this time of year.. a few feet. Water temp is still cold at 45 degrees. No activity yet except the usual suspects of WP and BCs. Caught a handful of cats in the 5-10lb range... the big ones are gonna come up with the shad once they get here...my guess by the second week of April...I CANT WAIT!

If anyone is going soon please be careful, the water is FLOWIN and COLD. Proper gear, always wear a PFD and please be cautious if anchoring in moving water.

Hope everyone enjoyed the good weather

Justin
    Attached Files

First hickory shad of the year was caught today according to the fletcher's fishing report,

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...fd986f02&msa=0

Im going to check it out next weekend.

Comment

I was thinking of Fletchers today. Things should be breaking loose there in another week.... or more.

My records indicate that the Spring of 2012 was really early and really dry. I caught 3 hickories each at Fletchers on March16 and March21, 2012. But then the water temp and flow those two days was 58F@4' & 64F@3.8'. Water clarity was 5' on the 16th and 6'-8' on the 21st. Can you imagine 8' of water clarity at Fletchers!!! Spring 2012 was definitely different than this spring.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

One of my goals this year is to launch from Fletchers and fish there this spring. I have no idea what methods to use or where to go. Any tips as far as how much weight to use on jigs? I'd love to catch a striper there. Will regular ball head jigs work instead of shad darts?

Comment

You can buy shad darts at the fletchers store, rig two darts on a 3 way swivel to your main line if you are going for shad. I wouldnt fish the bottom too much because its snag city. Check out the map i posted earlier for where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
            Did a lunch launch out of Fletcher's cove today. Water clarity was decent for this time of year.. a few feet. Water temp is still cold at 45 degrees. No activity yet except the usual suspects of WP and BCs. Caught a handful of cats in the 5-10lb range... the big ones are gonna come up with the shad once they get here...my guess by the second week of April...I CANT WAIT!

If anyone is going soon please be careful, the water is FLOWIN and COLD. Proper gear, always wear a PFD and please be cautious if anchoring in moving water.

Hope everyone enjoyed the good weather

Justin
            Thanks for posting this intel. Especially the H2O temp. Need a few more degrees!

Comment

Most of the shad I've caught have been with blade baits. Last year I was using a 5/8oz BPS Lazer Blade with a lot of success. It also caught largemouths and smallmouths.

A green/chrome 1/4oz Kastmaster also worked well for shad. I also caught some on a chrome 5/8oz RatLTrap and a white tube.

Comment

I've been wanting to fish here for a while now. If anyone plans on going out in the next few weeks let me know and I'll join you.

Comment

Check the following link for flow and water temps at Fletchers : (actually, temp/flow readings are taken at Little Falls Dam not too far upriver from Fletchers)
                  http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv...te_no=01646500

Fletcher's website:
                  http://www.fletcherscove.com/
                  Howard

Comment

James River Shad Cam

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/shadcam/

Comment

What baits/lures were you using?
                      Zack
                      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

For you newbies to Fletchers and to shad fishing check out link below that I posted this time last year.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ight=fletchers

Also, I'll try to post a pic of the lures I use at Fletchers for shad.

Shad Lures - 2.jpgShad Lures - 1.JPGShad Lures, 3-31-13.jpg
                        Howard

Comment

If you dont mind me asking?; How do you fish the lead jig head/plastics with the pegged bullet weight ("carolina rig")? Do you drag it on the bottom like a typical carolina rig or is it simply to get the jig down in the water column & a study retrieve? Very interesting rig. Thanks for posting. Its great to see imaginitive set ups. Thanks - Wayne
                          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

wfauby, etal – I’ve been fishing for shad at Fletchers each spring since 2002. I go there for shad around 5-10 times each spring, maybe 80 trips to Fletchers total since 2002. The Potomac River from the area of Fletchers upriver past Chain Bridge is very deep, like 10’-40’ deep, maybe even deeper in a few spots. The bottom of this entire stretch of river is nothing but cobble and boulders with a few sandy/muddy sections here and there.

Over the years I’ve launched my canoe (with 40# troller) there about 3 times, the rest of the time I fish from shore. I found out quickly that I catch far more shad fishing from shore than from a canoe, mainly because I spend far too much time maneuvering the canoe which cuts into my fishing big-time. With shad its location, LOCATION, LOCATION. After years of fishing there I have learned exactly which rock to stand on to score heavily on shad… and there are many good rocks to stand on. You will learn the area fast.

The Fletchers area up well past Chain Bridge is tidal. Tides rise and falls about 2’+. Hip boots gives you a HUGE advantage when fishing from shore. Chesthighs are overkill, PITA if you ask me, but will work. Hipboots are just right. If you have hip boots take them. But wading there can be dangerous. In many spots you can go from 1’ to 5’ in one step.

When fishing from shore I cast out and let the lure rig sink to a 5 to 8 count before starting a moderately slow retrieve with twitches added every couple of cranks of the reel. Sometimes I find that casting at a 45 degree angle up or down river also catches. HOW you fish the lures shown above is not as important as WHERE you stand while fishing.
                            Last edited by HJS; 03-26-2014, 11:32 AM.
                            Howard

Comment

Good write up. Thank you for the detailed reply.
                              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Working...
                              X