Gilbert Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilbert Run

Fished Gilbert Run this afternoon- good day fishing- two Brown Trout, one Rainbow, one small largemouth bass, one medium crappie, three nice big shell crackers- got there after one and left at six- The trout ate a white roostertail spinnner on ultra light spinning gear- the crappie ate a 1/16 oz jig with a natural shad body slow jigged in ten feet of water. The Shellcrackers ate earthworms I was fishing on a fish finder rig trying for catfish...all in all, a good day.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

thanks for the report, keep them comming

Comment

Great report Ron! Was this the inaugural launch?

MYT

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
        Great report Ron! Was this the inaugural launch?

MYT
        It was supposed to be, but I had issues with the tie downs and securing the yak to the top of my car- and it is heavier than I thought! After much effort I took it off the car and decided to be safe rather than sorry- I left the yak at home and fished from the shore. I am going to West Marine today to pick up a car top set of foam blocks and bow tie downs- The wind was up in the afternoon so I think an anchor system is going to be a priority, too.

And there was a guy in a float tube fly fishing, so kayak fishermen don't have a lock on small paddle sport fishing!
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Ron: I know how it is. My first year kayak fishing, I blew my should out loading my kayak on the cap of my P/U. Your car looks a little lower. Some of the guys use the bathroom rug system. Use a rubber back bathroom rug to put on the back of your car. Load the kayak up on the back of the car, with the rug as protection and slide it up. Then put the blocks in place. That is where I injured myself, putting the blocks under the kayak. With your car, it should be easier. A P/U truck is quite a bit higher.

There is nothing like a good set of kayak racks. I went from the sponge blocks to Tule racks with rollers and saddle. I then went to a small aluminum kayak trailer. You will eventually come up with a system that suits your needs. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words- I actually picked up something at West Marine yesterday that makes loading easier- a Prowler 13 that is 12 pounds lighter-

Comment

LOL Nice addition to the fleet
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Thanks for the encouraging words- I actually picked up something at West Marine yesterday that makes loading easier- a Prowler 13 that is 12 pounds lighter-
                Wait...wait... am I reading this right? You bought a brand new kayak!!??

Comment

and I thought I upgraded from the "SS Metro" quickly. LOL!!
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                    and I thought I upgraded from the "SS Metro" quickly. LOL!!
                    The SS Metro is good to go...I plan on using both yaks- my Daughter wants to paddle with me and we can do that now.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      The SS Metro is good to go...I plan on using both yaks- my Daughter wants to paddle with me and we can do that now.
                      Ahh well that makes sense!

Comment

Working...
                      X