Custom Revo Rod Holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Revo Rod Holders

Hey guys, I posted this within another thread and got a few questions and comments so thought I'd start a new thread...

I don't like rear flush mounts. Too far back and useless for trolling. Most guys add Ram or Scotty holders up front. (Folbes are way superior, btw) However, I've read where these fail. I also wanted to keep the gunwales clear. I did try a crate and CratePak for rod & tackle storage but, for me, that was cumbersome. Not as flexible as I was 20 years ago, I guess!

I want to see the rod tips when trolling and be able to reach the rod quickly. I also decided I didn't want to drill a lot of holes either.

I found some West Coast forums where guys move their rear holders forward using PVC and various connectors. While flexible & cheap the problem with PVC is that it looks like plumbing! I wanted something flexible that looks good, too.

I've given this some thought and have a solution. I reached out to my friends at Great Lakes Planers who have done work for me for the boat previously. After some back and forth discussion, measuring and re-measuring we've come up with a custom kayak rocket launcher!

Lightweight, made from aluminum, completely modular, clamps together and slips into the rear flush mounts. It's pretty tight on it's own but tie downs, cam straps or bungees to deck loops behind the seat will secure it. It can be configured several ways. When all is said and done this didn't cost much more than several RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, bases and extenders. More functional and prettier, too.

The guy doesn't plan to market them but he may change his mind if there's a lot of interest. Right now, I can get these at cost. Anyone interested just PM me. Take about 3 weeks...
    Attached Files

What's the cost? ...........

Comment

My entire unit was a bit over 3 bills plus shipping. What's nice about the modular design is that you can get fewer rod holders to start. Then, add more later. They list for $39 but I can get them at cost, $34. I bought 5 for my project.

This is specific to a Hobie Revolution. He's not interested in making custom units for different kayak models. Unless a strong market appears. But I don't really think that's very likely.

Comment

Hey John, how much is it for the setup that you show in the pictures. I have a new Revo and may be extremely interested in getting one as soon as possible. How long is the delivery time? Also, fro the pictures, does the rods hinder your ability to get into the well behind the seat?

Comment

Hey Martin, Just over 300. I bought 5 holders. You can adjust the total by getting fewer and then add to it later. It should take about 3 weeks. And no, I don't see any issue getting to the real well. Maybe with both rods deployed for trolling but the holders can move or put the rods in the rocket launcher...

Comment

Ok, I want one for my Revo.... what do I need to do now? I will assume the same as the pic that you showed us....

Comment

You're going to get mauled at J-Bay with the Hobie nation sees these.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I got my new custom rod holders and installed them yesterday..... wow...how nice. Thanks John.

Comment

that is AWESOME. i thought about making something similar out of pvc but never got around to it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    You're going to get mauled at J-Bay with the Hobie nation sees these.
                    Hope so!

Originally posted by moc View Post
                    I got my new custom rod holders and installed them yesterday..... wow...how nice. Thanks John.
                    I had that same "wow" reaction when I got mine! Glad you're liking them.

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                    that is AWESOME. i thought about making something similar out of pvc but never got around to it.
                    Thanks. I spent quite a bit of time on this over the winter. I made a prototype out of PVC but I didn't like that it looks like plumbing. Another problem is neither Scotty's nor Ram mounts would fit. Rigging more PVC would work but then there's that plumbing issue again! I wanted something different, functional and look really good! I think this works really well.

Comment

thats a sweet setup. how many rods do you guys take out when trolling? I ive done 3 but everything usually gets tangled up, I only use 2 now.
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                      X