Rigging ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging ideas?

So since ive got some spare time ive started to order some things to outfit whatever kayak i end up getting. This list has already been orders and is compiled basaed on things i have been reading on here and the pier and surf site. when i finally get home these will be waiting for me, next step is to test ride some yaks. Is there anything else interesting i should look at?

Current items enroute to the house:

Grapnel Anchor Kit
    Hummingbird 385Ci Combo
    Solar Battery Charger
    Scotty Humminbird Mount 274
    1 Scotty Compact Threaded Deck Mount
    2 Scotty Flush Deck Mounting Bracket 244
    2 Scotty 429 Gear Head Extender
    2 Scotty Powerlock Rod Holder w/ Flush Mount 231
    1 Anchor Trolley Kit
    Scotty Adjustable Rod Holder Extender 459
    Sea Dog Flush Mount Rod Holder with Cap
    C-Tug Kayak Cart
    Last edited by Pinch; 03-11-2011, 05:28 AM.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

You have a pretty comprehensive hardware list for the yak- If you contemplating fishing salt water I would look at a VHF marine band handheld radio- dry top and bottoms, cartop transportation system, and a kayak storage system of some type for home.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Keep an eye on eBay for that cart. I'd hate for you to pay $159 for it. Retail price is kinda steep
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

the ctug cart was already ordered, ebay doesnt work so well for ordering from overseas. For the VHF ive been looking at some from westmarine that look reasonable. Are kayak seats universal? what am i looking for as far as dry tops? what water gear is normally worn in the summer? What is the difference in paddle lengths? and finally for PFD fit should i just wait and go try some on?

Edit: i was looking at the inflatable system that metroman is using, i was going to buy an SUV but with the way gas is going i think ill stick with the Nissan i got. The issue is that it has a naked roof, not mounts or runners for a track system. For storing the kayak at home im just going to modify some saw horses by cutting "V"'s in them with the addition of some pool noodles.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Pinch-Keep your head down until you get on board the big bird headed home- short timers gotta keep focused - Thanks for all you do for us back here in CONUS.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

First off thanks for serving man.

For the most part kayak seats are universal, but the more you spend the more comfy it is on a long day. Im going to use the Ocean Kayak seat that came with my boat and I picked up a seat pad from ACK for a little extra cushion.

A dry top or semi dry top is something for the much colder water. If you aren't getting back for a while and plan on fishing the chesapeake some board shorts and a flats style fishing shirt is about all i wear.

For the VHF make sure its waterproof or you get a waterproof bag for it. I have one by cobra that VHF and also a two way radio. its waterproof but doesnt float so I have a bag for it that floats.

Your roof rack can be either the inflatable ones or just some foam blocks. The foam is cheap and can be dual purpose at home on your saw horses.

Final note for rigging... look at the kits and then look at what components to create that kit would cost separate. for example a "paddle leash kit" consisting of a plastic hook some bungee cord and some velcro could sell for $10. However, those pieces separate will cost you $3 and you can make it any way you feel. I'm headding to wally world today for lunch to pick up a small dog leash for my paddle leash.

Keep your head down!

Comment

leashes

I have an idea for the leashes, we were issued blackhawk pistol leashes for our 9mm's im going to collect abunch of them and use those. heres a link to what one looks like, do yall think its a good idea?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tac...ard,194,88.htm

the idea would be to clip it onto the rod holder or the yak and use the velcro end for the rod/paddle. I have 3 already and i know so of the guys here are going to get rid of theirs.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

looks good man. Wish I had access to those. Make sure they extend out to about 3-4 ft for a paddle leash and around the same for your rod leashes depending on where you leash your rods to on the boat.

Comment

Ill grab as many as i can and if i make it to the meet and greet in may ill hand them out. Its quite possible i can get about 20 or so fo free.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

That would be sweet! Thanks again for all you are doing over there and let me know when you get back, we'll get out fishin. I'll be a bit hard to get through the beginning of september. I am entering a fire recruit school for Fairfax County. From what I've heard its like military boot camp, except they dont build you back up after tearing you down. sounds like i will be smiling the whole time

Comment

Pinch,

I had the inflatable roof rack system. I returned it after my first trip. I now (happily) use foam blocks instead.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

What kind if Nissan do you have? I have a Nissan Maxima and I use foam blocks. They work great.

Comment

Hey Pinch ......... first thanks for your service to all of us ........ second PLEASE get home safe and we'll see ya in May ........ those gun leashes are a GREAT idea ....... get all you can cause you can never have enough leashes ......... another thing you might consider is a flag pole so you can be seen and a light pole

Comment

Regarding paddle length, the conventional wisdom is that the taller you are and the wider your boat, the longer the paddle should be. However, that depends on how you paddle. If you use a high-angle stroke (good for speed and going straight), you'll want a shorter paddle. If you use a low-angle stroke (good for long distances and probably easier on your body), you'll want a longer paddle. I'm 6'5", but I use a 220cm paddle for my Tarpon 120, which is about 30" wide. My father is about 6' and uses a 230cm or 240cm (I think) paddle for his Tarpon 120. I'm a horribly slow runner, so I like going fast in my kayak. You can match the blade shape to your paddling style, too.

There's some good info on the manufacturers' websites:
                            http://bendingbranches.com/choosing-...ak-paddle.html
                            http://wernerpaddles.com/go_paddling/tips/

I picked up a cheap paddle until I figured out what I liked, then I upgraded.

As for PFDs, they fit a wide range of body sizes. I would look for one with a mesh back that had a minimal number of buckles and pockets on the front. I've had the buckles hang up on the side of the yak when re-entering from the water. However, I do like a buckle below the zipper that lets me tighten the PFD around my waist so it doesn't rise up over my head when I'm in the water. I keep my cell phone (in a waterproof bag) in one pocket in the front of my PFD, and a (tethered) multitool, compass, and a set of car keys in the other pocket. I keep a knife on the shoulder trap. I also keep a set of keys and my wallet in a drybag inside the hull. This way, if I'm ever separated from my boat or lose the keys in my PFD, I can still get into my vehicle back on shore using the other set of keys.

Keep an eye out on sierratradingpost.com and the outlet sections on ems.com, rei.com, nrs-web.com, austinkayak.com, and outdoorplay.com. I've gotten both of my PFDs on sale for around $40, or so.
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Probably don't need a solar battery charger, unless you are doing some long range trips, where you don't have access to power. Batteries for the FF last quite a while, even for the 385. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X