Need some intel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some intel!

Am planning to take my new (to me!) Jackson KilRoy out this Saturday for it's Maiden voyage, can anyone give me some intel on either Little Seneca Lake or St Mary's Lake? I've read that their Tagged as "Trophy Bass" lakes, are they any good? How and where should i fish them? Also want to catch dinner, how is the Crappie fishing in these 2 lakes? Which one is more productive?
    Ryan
    BPS Ascend FS10 Sit In
    Jackson KilRoy Sit In

I have not been to St Mary's in over 10 years. At that tine it was a nice fishery. Little Seneca lake (aka Black Hills) is in my regular local fishing loop. I have done very well there over the years. There's lots of structure mainly in the form of underwater trees that were left there when the land was flooded. There are some very deep areas in the lake approaching 50ft but I rarely ever go that deep. I do get a lot of fish regularly at around 20'.

In summer the lake runs very clear. There is an abundance of SAV. That SAV can have a weed edge out to 16' deep. Fishing along the weed edge on points can be productive. My largest LMB ever came from that lake last summer on my maiden voyage with my new Skimmer yak. I didn't have anything to measure it with but it was a beast.

The lake used to have tiger Muskie. They have not been stocked there in at least 5 years, and maybe closer to 10. I have not caught a tiger there in years. There's a guy I see Crappie fishing pretty regularly in the tem mile creek arm of the lake. He fished the submerged timber. I have seen him catch crappie after crappie there some days. I have caught crappie there by accident. Mostly during the spring when they are shallow. There are some nice sized bluegill. In summer they stay deep. During spawning , you can have a blast with a flyrod and popper. Bass are frequent by catch when fishing the bluegill beds.

They main boat ramp is a long paddle to both arms of the lake where most of the better fishing is. There are two other canoe 'kayak launces available on Clarksburg road. One is right where the bridge is on Clarksburg road. The ten mile creek arm of the lake is easily accessible from that launch. There isn't a convenient launch to the other side of the lake. I use the launch on Clarksburg road that is about a half mile before the bridge. It is a long carry (hundred yards or so) so you may want a cart.

I'd be happy to go some time if you want company. DSCF7209.jpg
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Yes, that would be great! i'd love to go with someone who has knowledge of the Lake. Lets plan a trip soon!
      Ryan
      BPS Ascend FS10 Sit In
      Jackson KilRoy Sit In

Comment

Working...
      X