Smallmouth and small river kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallmouth and small river kayaking

So I have a secret spot in Anne Arundel county that I have been fishing for smallmouth for 10 plus years now. Wading only though and this will be my first year fishing from a kayak. I really only borrowed my uncles kayak the end of last year for the first time to fish the Severn river and I am hooked. The last 2-3 years I have had the most luck with more smallmouth than ever. Narrowed it down to them loving anything white, I guess cause of the high population of chub in the river. This will however be the first time hitting "The honey hole" as I have called it for years. It's a stretch of river that could only be fished properly from a small craft.

Looking forward to branching out this year to bigger and better waters but staying local for the start. I wanted to get any pointers for prespawn smallmouth and tight water river kayaking.

Thank You
    Kevin Markland
    @k.markland
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK...XAJGcn9VEYDG2w

2015 Wildy ATAK- Flint Camo
    2014 Perception Pescador 12- Sand

Fish deep and slow.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. First post. Super excited for this year and the opportunities kayak fishing will bring me.
      Kevin Markland
      @k.markland
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK...XAJGcn9VEYDG2w

2015 Wildy ATAK- Flint Camo
      2014 Perception Pescador 12- Sand

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmark View Post
        I wanted to get any pointers for prespawn smallmouth and tight water river kayaking.
        Watch the water temperature - for the fish - but more importantly for your safety. Don't risk it without cold water protection. See other threads here for details.

Comment

Winter and prespawn. Deepest water out of current you can find. Spring usually means hig water. I typically target eddies along banks eith undercuts, root balls of trees etc. Logjams will block current. Wintering areas are usually slow moving holes. If there a spring
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Are there any crayfish in the creek? Maybe work a crayfish pattern (brown/orange plastic on a jig) if you are going to be fishing slow.
            Green Old Town Loon 111
            Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

I do terrible in cold water fishing for anything. I especially do terrible in cold water fishing for smallies.
              That's cool that there is a river/stream in Anne Arundle County that has smallmouth bass in it. I didn't think there really were any smallmouths in that part of the state.

I've caught a few smallies in the middle/little Patuxent near Savage, MD, but I assumed they lost habitat once the river entered the coastal plain.

Comment

I was told by someone who fishes the Mid-Pax from Eden Brook down and he said there are SMB in there. Fly fishing using Black, Brown, or Olive wooly buggers. Hanevt fished it myself, only helped stock it. 500 Rainbow's went in on the 20th of February.

Comment

Working...
                X