Kayak Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Camping

Any one kayak camp in delaware? im looking to do some over night trips this spring/summer. any information about primitive camping of random islands/riverbanks etc would be helpful. i would like to do some trips at the beaches.

I have been fascinated about doing something similar also. I have been watching many youtube videos about kayka camping in primitive spots. I would like just to find an island or piece of camp to setup a base and cook some of what I catch...whatever that is....

Comment

I was thinking about at the Delaware beaches and lower Chesapeake
      Would be better during the week. Beaches are to busy on weekends

I'm in

Comment

looking at google maps, there isnt too much in the indian river bay. However the lynch thicket looks like a decent island. its close for a first time camping spot. maybe even walter point on the other side of the bay.

Comment

That sounds like fun my son would love to do a camping trip on a kayak.
          Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
          Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

That also sounds great. I'm trying to work my way up to camping in the great lakes. I've been looking at some sites near Smith Island Park, but the websites make it sound like most islands are bird santucaries and I get the feeling Fed DNR would be less than enthused if I started a camp fire on one of them.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

where abouts is smith island park?

Comment

there are some campsites on lynch

Comment

Originally posted by Rroop32 View Post
                  where abouts is smith island park?
                  Sorry, I meant James Island State Park MD, They have a few back country spots back in the swamp.
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                    Sorry, I meant James Island State Park MD, They have a few back country spots back in the swamp.
                    better take lots of bug spray. The back country spots are platforms & something I will try out this spring.

Comment

There are a ton of islands/small beaches north and south of the Janes Island State Park area that aren't part of the park that you could easily camp on without much bother. Some are inhabited by nesting birds and probably wouldn't make great spots, but many others are wide open and easily camped. We used to go out of Deal Island every year and camp on an island fishing for bull reds in the shallows all night long. In fact, I think the wife and I might have to try and do this again this year too. Last year we paddled out to Dawson's Shoal on the VA seaside and camped. Fishing was good if you like stingrays...

Don't know much about Delaware though, sorry.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                        There are a ton of islands/small beaches north and south of the Janes Island State Park area that aren't part of the park that you could easily camp on without much bother. Some are inhabited by nesting birds and probably wouldn't make great spots, but many others are wide open and easily camped. We used to go out of Deal Island every year and camp on an island fishing for bull reds in the shallows all night long. In fact, I think the wife and I might have to try and do this again this year too. Last year we paddled out to Dawson's Shoal on the VA seaside and camped. Fishing was good if you like stingrays...

That's cool. Wish my wife was in to that. Any rate, do you recall how high above sea level the beaches are? For instance, when it rains will I be floating away in my tent?
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I doubt rain would flood you out on the couple beaches/islands I'm thinking about on the bayside. Most are good on high tide too unless it's a super high from storms/wind but you'd likely not be out there then anyway.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

The website lists that they have "Three back country camp sites are located along the trails for overnight expeditions". Is it casual enough that you could just park and camp in the wild or would I be better off just reserving one of the sites? Thanks for the info.
                            2000 Old Town Loon 138T
                            2013 Field and Stream Eagle Talon

Comment

The 3 back country sites are paddle in and part of Jane's Island state park. I believe there is a small fee for those I think they are wooden platforms out in the wetlands/swamp. No wild camping at Jane's Island state park There are more island on the bay south of Crisfield that aren't part of Jane's Island State park. Those you could wild camp on. I would park the car at the Marina in Crisfield [ Somers cove marina ] and give them a couple bucks to park and to watch your car.

Comment

Working...
                              X