Hatteras 2/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatteras 2/22

Since our last trip didn't turn out to well, we decided to head back down to Hatteras for a redemption trip. Redfish, Slap, Jet, Sparechange and myself left Friday afternoon to begin our 7hr drive. After a few stops at Green Top and BassPro we arrived in Cape Hatteras around 11pm. We stayed at a hotel right across from the boat. After a few hours of sleep, we loaded the kayaks on the boat and left the dock around 6:30am.

Once we arrived at our location, we did some jigging off the boat first waiting for the current to die down. Redfish was the first to land a blackfin. We pulled up tons of false albacore, and 4 blackfin tuna, 3 being citations. After the current died down a bit, we unloaded the kayaks off the boat and went on to play with the sharks. Fishing was tough, the hammerheads stalked us the whole time we were out there and ate up the tuna we reeled in. Slap (Matt) was the first to hook up and ended up landing a nice blackfin off the kayak. The rest of us all landed fish off the kayak, mostly false albacore and some close encounters with the hammerheads. Man, the sharks were everywhere and active. After about 2 hrs of catching albacore and hooking into sharks, we decided to load the kayaks to go do some bottom fishing off the boat.

Once we arrived at our new spot, we set up our rods with bottom rigs and dropped down to around 300ft. We started catching sea bass with an occasional amberjack mixed in. Most of the sea bass were around 15inches, nothing of size. After a few hours of bottom fishing we headed back in to the dock. Redfish and I ended up with North Carolina citations for Blackfin tuna. Pretty awesome.

Overall, it was a fun trip. The drive back was killer though, especially after having a feast at 5 guys.

Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Here is a close encounter with a Hammerhead.

Redfish took this video.

Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

That's awesome. Looks like some KW points.
        Jim

Hobie Outback
        TKAA member
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

it was definitely an experience! trying to fight and winch up fish as fast as you can, just so the sharks wouldnt get to them first, ha. the sharks won too many times. i'll tell you guys what, that first hook up on the kayak was such a crazy feeling. amazing how powerful these fish are.

P2220153.jpgP2220170.jpgP2220173.jpgTL000875.jpg
          sigpic

Comment

Great pics and Vid. I think I would have freaked when the Hammerhead circled the Yak.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

That trip was a blast and I can't wait to go back!!! These were the first tuna I have ever caught so pretty cool to come home with two citations. I know I hooked a few more and did so much work to get them in only to have a shark eat them. That picture grilled has of me with two thumbs on the spool and max drag is me trying to break a shark off that just realized it was hooked 20ft below my boat and tooooook off.

I do have to say, if you're not absolutely comfortable in your yak in rough water and on how to fight these fish from a kayak then these types of trips are not for you! These fish are fast, the sharks are faster, and things can get dicey quick.

We made the website! http://www.wefishobx.com/fishing-report.html
              Last edited by Redfish12; 02-25-2014, 10:22 PM.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

That looks like a blast! The sharks circling is pretty intense! Pucker factor engaged!
                Jeff B
                Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Awesome report guys, that is some extreme fishing right there. Not many places we fish around here where there are sharks all around you trying to take your catch!
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Sweet experience gents, congrats!

Hey Jet, I noticed you were using a spinning reel. Which one were you using and how did you like it?
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That's some intense fishing. Congrats on the citation.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Bad@$$! Period.

Comment

What percentage of the fish that you hook-up with are you able to land before they become shark bait?
                          Brian

Comment

Here's my first one in real time. More to come!

As for percentage on sharks, I think we only lost a few but they were often chased.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Redfish12; 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Epic! Congratulations on the citations!
                              2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                              Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Working...
                              X