Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Drop 2-22-14, Sat

Deep Drop 2-22-14, Sat

Met Metroman and Fourstep24 at the pier. We checked in, and with 35 anglers aboard the Rudee Angler, we departed 0240 hrs on the 17+ hour trip.

We rode about 5 hours to our first fishing spot. We dropped our triple rigs with 24 ounce sinkers and squid in about 300 feet of water and started catching tiles. We went on to several other spots up to 400 feet and caught tiles, bsb (released) and lots of dogfish (shark).

In the afternoon we went to 700 ft. Not totally a pleasant experience. Although the seas were fairly calm, there were some ugly tangles. I got tangled several times and lost a lot of braid from the cuts they had to do. A lot of dogfish was being pulled up too. On the good side, people were pulling up tiles, barrel fish, eels and blackbelly rosefish.

They'll give you details, but I have to say this. Congrats to Fourstep24. At our first drop spot, he landed a big tile, his first ever tilefish. He went on to catch a second big tile, both around 10 lbs each. Metroman caught a bunch of fish too. I limited out on tiles with the largest around six lbs. I also caught three rosefish (at 700 ft), and it was my first ever. Man, those orange rosefish are beautiful. (Rosefish are hard to catch, part of the scorpionfish family, and have venomous spines, but are considered excellent table fare).

The winning angler won the pool with a 12.7 lbs barrel fish. It was his first barrel.

I tell you. Fishing at 700 ft is something else. Under all that clothing, I was getting all heated up doing all that work. Not to mention my tired arms. Those electric reels looked good every time I pulled up a load...lol.

We sure lucked out on wx. It turned out to be a very good day, considering the snowstorm we had last week. Mostly sunny with winds up to about 10 knots. Seas were fairly calm, so fishing conditions were very good.

We arrived dock side after 9 pm. It was fun fishing with MKF guys Metroman and Fourstep. All in all, a good, not excellent, fish-catchin' day. Looking forward to another trip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

More pics.

First pic: the winning barrel fish.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 02-23-2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

How many rigs did you lose? Did anyone get reef fish or grouper?
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I lost about 4-5 rigs and over 150 yds of braid. As far as I know, no one caught grouper or golden tiles, even though we were at good spots at 700 ft.

Comment

What a great trip for my first Deep Drop trip. Drove down the night before with MetroMan and went straight to the boat. Weather was great with light winds. As we boarded the boat having a table to sleep on the 5 hr. ride out was great. Got some pretty good sleep and as the sun rose it was time to drop em. On my first drop as it hit bottom got a GOOD thump. Started to reel up and I knew it was a nice fish. Got it to the surface and the mate gaffed it while I flexed my forearms as they were a little sore from that fight. This fish turned out to be 9.5 pounds and a couple drops later landed another over 9lbs. So much for warming up on my first trip. LOL! All morning the captain kept us on the fish and trying to avoid the pesky dogfish but it was kinda hard. My catch consisted of many tilefish , a huge seabass (released at 20.5 inches), black bellied rosefish, and lots of dogfish. One cool part of the trip as we ventured to 700' of water was watching a HUGE Sperm Whale at the surface. Pretty cool. After moving to 700' is when it got real. The fish were there and hungry . Pulling fish from that depth separates the men from the boys. At this depth is were most of the Rosefish were caught. It was great fishing with Tufnik and Metro with plenty of fun. Look forward to doing it again soon.

Comment

Did anyone use lights on their rigs? I know they are expensive but supposedly they make a huge difference- I am taking a mighty lite ($14.99) with me on the March 8th deep drop trip- it clips on the top of the rig and is a blue strobe tested to 800 meters- I made up three rigs today using 60# clear Ande mono with 7/0 circle hooks tied to 50# floro. I used a glo bead and a plastic squid skirt teaser on each dropper- I put a 150# test black 1/0 barrel swivel to prevent line twist...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Noone used light sticks but a few used squid teasers and neon beads. Feom what I saw they made no difference at all. Those fish are hungry and ready for real squid .

Comment

Great job guys, looks like you had a great trip. 9+ lb tilefish from the deep is quite a way to get initiated on your first deep drop Foursteps. Those rosefish are good looking fish ill be waiting to hear your taste review Tufnik. It sucks about losing your braid, i remember the feeling from last time. That boat looks really crowded but it seems like it was worth the trouble, plus you guys got a table this time. I hope to join you guys in the future for the next trip, hopefully BSB.

Ronaultmtd: Ive only been on one deep drop but i share Foursteps sentiment...when you drop your bait it seems like they hit everything the same. When i was preparing for my trip i added glow beads and was considering the lights etc. but when the time came it seems like the whole boat was hooking up no matter what they were using. Metroman even hooked up a BSB on a peice of salami, lol. Tilefish may be different but it seems like if its squid they will hit. If you do use your deep sea light let us know how you do. I almost bought one before but the price deterred me, and i imagined getting my line cut or snagged and losing it and it didnt seem worth it.
                2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Jealous of the rose fish. How do they taste?

Comment

I plan to go again once the seabass season opens. Not sure if it will be rudee, morning star or lewes but definately want some seabass

Comment

I just ate some of the black belly rose fish. PRetty damn good. I also had some tilefish for the first time tonight. Pretty good as well. I broiled all the fish I cooked tonight.

The trips was fun, but with the closure of the sea bass season, you kinda have to expect to hauls to be low on the quantity side. It was fun catching the tile fish, but the dogfish were a huge nuisance. When hooked, they went apesh*t and tangled as many lines as they could. This occurrence was magnified at 700'. Downright frustrating. Imagine dropping your rig, it spools out going down for 2+ minutes...and your line goes limp because someone like 5 spots down from you has hooked into a dogfish that has tangled you. Ugh.

I am looking forward to another ocean boat trip though :-)
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

+1 on the opinions on the fancy rigs. Have fun losing it when you get tangled. The fish are hungry and dont seem to care. The less stuff you send down, the less you have to lose. After a few breakoffs on my gear, I switched to the boats gear. I had my line cut...re-spooled...then cut again due to a nasty dogfish tangle. After that, I was more comfortable losing their braid opposed to mine.

The mates are some of the absolute best mates ever. THey work their asses off and earn every bit of the tip you give them.
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I forgot to mention my opinion on the mates. I have never seen 3 mates work as hard as these guys. No matter what they were there to assist. I truly felt like this trip was made in part due to the mates. They earned a nice tio from me. Especially the tangles.

Comment

+2 Agree with you guys. Adding lights, beads, etc. is a waste of time. It only complicates the rig and makes untangling lines even harder. Keep it simple. Plain squid works fine. Some guys used fancy-pancy, and I saw no difference.

I had rosefish for dinner tonight. Lightly floured and plain fried. I added no sauce and light on the pepper so I could taste the fish. It was excellent, just like BSB. In fact, I did a side by side comparison with frozen BSB from many weeks ago. There is a very subtle difference in taste, but both are excellent. Texture is about the same. I think rosefish is easier to fillet than BSB. It just seems easier to cut here and cut there.

Why is it black bellied? During the fillet process, I found out. The inner lining of the belly is black. Duh?!?!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tufnik; 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Oh, another thing. You know many people deep fry the whole fish, and the meat in the cheek bone is considered the tastiest part. I had already filleted the fish, and I had three rosefish heads. My wife deep fried the heads. There was meat in the cheeks, throat area, and back of the head. Wow, the cheek meat is the best. Slightly sweet, and with the crispy edge, it was the tastiest part of the fish. The rest of the meat around head was also tasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X