Skipton Landing - Talbot County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipton Landing - Talbot County

Read some posts about Wye Landing thought I would suggest another eastern shore place a few miles futher. Stay on 50 south of 404, Skipton Landing Rd. It is a public landing no fee as long as you are not pullling a trailer, unique thing is the water is only 2 feet deep at the launch which means you only see an occasional john boat launching, no bigger boats. Place can be full of yellow and white perch I have had many 50+ perch days.

Perfect place for new or experienced kayakers, shallow water, not many boats and lots of fish. Water does eventually get to 10 ft in the middle

Take a look at a map/chart you will see Wye Island Preserve head that way, go right off the ramp 1/4 to 1/2 mile fish the edges on either side of the creek especially among the tree branches in 2-3 feet of water.
    Attached Files

Sounds great. If there are perch there, then I am definitely in!

Comment

thanks for the tip

Comment

Yeah ....... thanks.

What's the bottom like? ........ if it is sandy it sounds like the ideal place for some on the water rigging and testing

Comment

Depends where you are, middle is sandy, muddy. Edges a lot of downed trees, also some good grass areas.

Favorite spot is an oyster bed, but you would have to go with me, to find that.

Comment

i was looking at a chart of the area around wye island and there is a deep hole to the east that goes from 17 to 40'. looks like 1-1.5 miles from WL also some nice sandy beaches in the area if anyone wants to practice self rescue

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              i was looking at a chart of the area around wye island and there is a deep hole to the east that goes from 17 to 40'. looks like 1-1.5 miles from WL also some nice sandy beaches in the area if anyone wants to practice self rescue
              If you hit Wye landing on the weekend there can be 50-100 trucks with boat trailers there. It is the most popular launch ramp in Talbot County for access to the Eastern Bay, that is why Skipton is best for kayaks Most I have ever seen is three trailers.

Comment

Do you have to buy a $20 pass to use the Talbot county boat ramps, or is that only for trailered vehicles? I saw a this information for Skipton Landing....

NEW ANNUAL FEE: $20.
                Landing permits may be purchased at any of the convenient locations listed below. Permits may also be acquired by sending us a request with your name, address, and telephone number along with a self-addressed/stamped envelope, and the $20 check or money order (no cash please) and mail to: TCDPR, 10028 Ocean Gateway, Easton, MD 21601

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                  Do you have to buy a $20 pass to use the Talbot county boat ramps, or is that only for trailered vehicles? I saw a this information for Skipton Landing....

NEW ANNUAL FEE: $20.
                  Landing permits may be purchased at any of the convenient locations listed below. Permits may also be acquired by sending us a request with your name, address, and telephone number along with a self-addressed/stamped envelope, and the $20 check or money order (no cash please) and mail to: TCDPR, 10028 Ocean Gateway, Easton, MD 21601
                  As far as I know fee is still only for trailers.

http://www.talbotcountymd.gov/index....nd_Regulations

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks.... Another reason that I force myself to cartop my kayak.

Comment

Working...
                      X