More weekend plastic drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More weekend plastic drilling

So I just got back from Florida. Lots of good fishing down there: specks, snook, ladyfish, lizard fish, jack cravel, sheepshead, blues, and spanish macs. I got home today and all of my parts had arrived. I started off by putting on my scupper transducer.

Then it was time to start working on the sonar shield's guts:

First i started laying out where I was going to be putting things. I made sure that everything would clear properly.

However prior to drilling I double checked the clearance on the inside... It was about to be a bad move so I'm glad I checked. I checked again and drilled this hole.

I put the water proof plug in and sank four stainless screws backed by washers and nylock nuts. I'm going to get a plastic cutting board and put it in as a backer plate.

I ran the transducer wire into the adapter and back out coiling the excess against the scupper. I also put the power cable through the same adapter. After tightening it down there were still some gaps so an old rubber stopper was sacrificed to the waterproof cause and I made sure it was good and sealed.

Here is the finished for now product...

I ran the power cable on the inside of the hull using pad eyes that I gooped to the hull. I saw on another forum where a guy did that to strap down his battery so hopefully it will hold my cable up out of the way.

I still havent figured out rod holders up front yet or how I'm going to handle my rear tank well. Im thinking of either doing the waterproof box or cutting up a milk crate to fit that space. I'm going to be going out on excursions with minimal gear moving forward. I take 1000 lbs of tackle and end up using 3-4 lures or hooks. I am hesitant to use the mod pod as my primary up front rod holder. I'm open to suggestion.
    Last edited by Japanesezero; 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Nice install. After going out this weekend I've decided to pass on the new mod pod. I'm gonna mount to compact flush mounts either the space between the mod pod and sonar shield or to the left and right of the sonar shield . I notice with either set up I could put Scotty rod holders with extenders and they will be just in arms reach when bottom fishing and out the way whe trolling. When I get my FF soon I'm gonna mount it just as you did. I like the fact that I can fold it down . Do you plan on keeping the FF in and not taking it out during the season? I'm sure when next winter come you will disconnect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
        Nice install. After going out this weekend I've decided to pass on the new mod pod. I'm gonna mount to compact flush mounts either the space between the mod pod and sonar shield or to the left and right of the sonar shield . I notice with either set up I could put Scotty rod holders with extenders and they will be just in arms reach when bottom fishing and out the way whe trolling. When I get my FF soon I'm gonna mount it just as you did. I like the fact that I can fold it down . Do you plan on keeping the FF in and not taking it out during the season? I'm sure when next winter come you will disconnect it.
        I usually hold a rod so im thinking im going to just use the supplied cannon rod holder. I may get a rod extender to lift the rod up a bit but will use it while im paddling from one place to the next. I'll leave the FF in until I get to the salt water, then everything comes out for a good rinse once I get home. I rigged the battery in the included bag with a fuse and a quick disconnect. That wire seal is great but makes sure you get a rubber stopper from home depot to fill in the gaps.
        Last edited by Japanesezero; 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Lookin good!
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            Lookin good!
            Thanks man... Icing on the cake is that my AT Fishstix paddle came in this morning! WOOT!

Comment

looks good...nice work!
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

very nice! its better than Xmas morning

Comment

thanks...

Comment

I got some things in from ACK today and got to work...

I picked up a scotty extender to get the rod holder up off the mod pod a bit. Unfortunately it didn't fit the cannon that came with the boat, so I'll be picking up a scotty at Dicks sometime soon.

I picked up some bungee cord from REI for half of what ACK and Hook1 had it for. $0.25 per foot was a no brainer. I took the webbing strap and clip off of the sonar shield and replaced it with some of the bungee and terminal ends.

The reason for this change was because the buckle seemed to dangle or get in the way no matter how I put it. With the bungee, its out of the way right away.

Close up of the terminal end.

I continued the bungee exploration by adding a similar plano box feature that redfish has on his.

I also added a stick on seat pad. I hope it helps out a bit. It was far cheaper than buying a real seat at this point.

Comment

Nice work!!! That butt pad really helps! Modpod is looking good, need to get some slime on that thing!

I've been meaning to replace the bungee on my sonar shield for a long time now... looks like I need to get to work and finish my trolley too.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

continued

I purchased a plano 1612 box that is made for the slot in the rear tankwell. I added two out of the three rod holders off of my milk crate using a stainless screw, big washers and some goop.

I cut off the bungee that was supplied doubled up. I retied it single knots on each end to reduce the power of the bungee. If i didnt do that It put way too much pressure on the rod holder.

I drilled a 5/8" hole and put a 4 foot section of contuit pvc that I had laying around in my back yard. The top is flanged to a 3/4" outside diameter. Im going to wrap it in solace tape. I am going to put a 3/4" pvc connector on the top and luckily one of those cheap crappy led lights fits in it very snug. Im going to glue a ping pong ball in the top. Im also going to make it a flag pole.

The plano 1612 holds my tackle boxes perfectly and a chuck of cutting board that remained from putting a backing plate behind my fish finder mount.

The end for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          Nice work!!! That butt pad really helps! Modpod is looking good, need to get some slime on that thing!

I've been meaning to replace the bungee on my sonar shield for a long time now... looks like I need to get to work and finish my trolley too.
                          Trolley is next. probably going to get some cheapo pulleys from home depot and rig them into the decking lines already on the boat. I have about 10" of bungee left so thats probably going to be incorperated into the operation.

Comment

Looking good.
                            Digital Livewell

Comment

Originally posted by Japanesezero View Post
                              Trolley is next. probably going to get some cheapo pulleys from home depot and rig them into the decking lines already on the boat. I have about 10" of bungee left so thats probably going to be incorperated into the operation.
                              Just make sure they are stanless steel ........ you're usint them is the salt and cheepos may rust real fast ......... don't want to keep replacing and equipment that require screws ........ don't like to keep messing w/holes in my ride ....... just my opinion ....

Comment

Working...
                              X