d'oh...too rough on my Hobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d'oh...too rough on my Hobie

So I'd recently bought turbo fins for my Outback and I was having a blast powering around with them. I was sprinting as hard as I could to see how fast I could go when I heard some clicking. Eh, probably nothing, but I decided that I probably shouldn't stress the mirage drive so hard.

Later, under some heavier load I heard the clicking again and it seemed like the chain was skipping. Something was wrong, so I inspected everything when I got home and it seemed like the cables were a little loose. I tightened them and got out again this weekend and I heard the clicking almost immediately...but to hell with that, I'm not wasting a day out there! Through the trip it got worse.

I'd had enough with the issue and decided to really give it some juice as I was getting back to shore to see what happens and get to the root of the issue since it wasn't apparent before. Sure enough, lots of clicking and chain slipping.

When I inspected the mirage drive I realized the teeth on the sprocket had sheared off. It probably happened one at a time. As I lost the first one, fewer were taking the load until most of them failed.

I ordered another sprocket as well as a spare from ACK which was actually pretty cheap, but I guess I learned not to peddle like a mad man because they do have their limits....or maybe my loose chain was the source of the whole thing. I'm too scared to test it again...I really have no need for 40 yard dashes in the kayak anyway.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

If it was slipping early on, check the tension of the idler cable. On the older ones with the steel sprockets, it was really important to have the idler tension correct. You might have to replace that cable, too. Mine eventually broke after 4 or 5 years.

There's a thread on the Hobie forum about drive adjustments:
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=60&t=12572

More maintenance info:
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewf...ae57fa055303d6
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks! Oftentimes I've had to learn the hard way.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Yeah, that's how I learn things, too. If I can't live as an example, then I'll serve as a warning to others.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
        X