Fishing Jugs Bay 3/5/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Jugs Bay 3/5/2011

I arranged to meet Metroman at the tackle shop at 12:30 pm just off of Route 4 on the way to Chesapeake Beach. I arrived there just a minute after Metroman got there. We both bought some worms, and Metroman bought some Gulp Catfish Bait. I Bought a dozen minnows and some chicken livers from a Giant near my house. We left there and headed down to Jugs Bay to meet Bill and Foursteps24. When we got to Jugs Bay, Bill and Foursteps24 was setting up their yaks. It would be the four of us fishing today. The weather was not bad. The skies were partly cloudy with the temperature reaching a high of 64 degrees according to my car. It was breezy with SW winds. At least with temperatures like this, my feet would not be cold. We got the yaks into the water and headed north upstream. Fishing was slow. Nothing took my minnows or chicken livers. I did get some nibbles when I used the worms. I fished with a fish finder rig on one rod and a top/bottom setup on another. Bill caught the first fish, a hungry lonely white perch. After that, there was nothing. The current was moving north pushing our yaks further and further away from the boat launch. I decided that I did not want to fight and paddle against the current on the way back, so I paddled back past the boat ramp and took up anchor in 9 feet of water further south where I was marking some fish on my fish finder. Bill came with me and anchored also. We continued to fish, and I was able to get the fishing trifecta.... I caught a catfish, yellow perch and another lonely white perch. At least I got the skunk off. The temperature started to drop and get chilly as the winds began to increase. Metroman towed Foursteps24 back towards our launching spot. They said the fishing was dead up river so they came back down to join us. At 4pm Metroman and Foursteps24 headed back to the boat ramp to head home. Bill and I stayed for another 35 minutes and then we left since the fishing was dead and the cold started to get to us on the water.

It was a fun day fishing with everyone, seeing the other yaks in action, with their custom rigging. Upon leaving Jugs Bay, I spoke to a guy with a bass boat and he told me that he was killing catfish just north of the ramp where we were. I had the same problem that we had of getting the fish to bite on anything. He finally tried grass shrimp and then his action started. He landed catfish up to 18 inches on grass shrimp. Naturally the fish would want to bite the one bait that I did not bring. At least now I know for next time.
    Attached Files

It was good finally seeing moc and MetroMan again and meeting and FourSteps. I always got a lot out of their PLO reports on pierandsurf.com.

The wind and current today were nuts. I was glad I decided not to risk fighting it at the end of the day.

Metro's towing service strikes again:

I caught the 9" white perch on a 3/8oz Cicada. I lost another fish that felt bigger, but I'll never know. Martin had the hot hand. I was fishing next to him using the same bait with only the occasional nibble.

The water temperature was 48*-49* and the salinity was nearly fresh. I sure wish the action would pick up a bit. It sound like the folks on the pier weren't having much luck, either. Anyway, it was a good time hanging out on the water.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Looks like you all had fun. SurfDog and I hit Wye Landing and Ft. Smallwood without a bite..

GB

Comment

I guess the incoming system really slowed things down.

Martin was telling me about Wye Mill. I'd definitely like to fish it one day.
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

It was a good time out there on the water once again. The fishing wasn't fast, nor was it furious. The only thing happening out there for us was the current. It made for some pretty quick drifts upstream. Between us, we had grass shrimp, minnows, night crawlers, and I had some gulp catfish bait. No takers, although I had a bump or two (which was probably just me catching some debris lol).

We drifted upstream as far as the beginning of the western branch. It was fun exploring new areas. I hadn't fished that far up before. I found a spot where I marked a bunch of fish, but the current didn't really allow me to fish it comfortably. I could've done it, but there were other boats anchored nearby and I still dont think I had enough weight to get my rig to the bottom quick enough. If i had an anchor, I probably wouldve tried it. But I'll go there next time when the current is a bit more calm.

Again, it was a fun day out there with the guys as always. Weather was pretty damn good. Not too hot, not too cold. If only the fish cooperated.

Fishfinder installed, working perfectly!

Other guys were out there. The only guys catching were the guys on the bass boat on the right

Did some touring...

Returning to shore after a nice journey...

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

thanks for the report and pix, heard about the outing to allens freash from GB, i'd keep a spare prop on board just in case you hit a rock or oyster bar and bust a blade off and extra shear pins. i would start charging to tow those who cant hack the current

Comment

The one pic shows the Lord Calvert Manor House. According to Pax River Parks you're supposed to be able to launch a canoe or yak from that shore. Problem is that big hill, I don't think you can drive down and drop off. Needs more research, different stories from different phone numbers. Western Branch is a good little creek to fish. Everything thay spawns in the river also spawns in there only sooner.

Comment

I don't know, you guys had me going there for a moment, with that Jugs Bay thing. I thought is was a little cold for that sort of action, and all I saw were kayaks and a few fish.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                  thanks for the report and pix, heard about the outing to allens freash from GB, i'd keep a spare prop on board just in case you hit a rock or oyster bar and bust a blade off and extra shear pins. i would start charging to tow those who cant hack the current

Actually, the shear pin suggestion is a good one. I have sheared those off just returning back in to the beach and hitting sand. I cut the motor off a little sooner now. However, extra shear pins are a good idea. I have hit a number a rocks in the upper Potomac and no shear pin problems. Sand seems to do a number on the pins.

Metro: It must have looked like you were walking on water. Too bad you don't catch fish like that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    I don't know, you guys had me going there for a moment, with that Jugs Bay thing. I thought is was a little cold for that sort of action, and all I saw were kayaks and a few fish.
                    If we were fishing Jugs Bay, the action definitely would've been better. I can't seem to find it on a map, though. There's a creek near Piney Point where the scenery in the summer on the weekend brings that name to mind.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      Actually, the shear pin suggestion is a good one. I have sheared those off just returning back in to the beach and hitting sand. I cut the motor off a little sooner now. However, extra shear pins are a good idea. I have hit a number a rocks in the upper Potomac and no shear pin problems. Sand seems to do a number on the pins.
                      Can you guys explain this shear pin business?

Comment

If you were to take off your motor prop, there is a notch in the prop hub. In that notch lies a brittle metal pin that fits in the hub notch and through the motor shaft. If the prop hits an under water obstruction, the pin will break, letting the propeller spin free and avoid doing damage to the motor itself. Better that the pin breaks, rather than damaging you motor. However, if that should happen, you need to replace the shear pin, where you are before the propeller will engage properly and spin. It pays to have some tools, a wrench and multi-tool, and shear pins on hand should you hit something with your prop. Minnkota mades shear pin kits for their motors. Bass Pro has the kits, or you can order them online. I keep some shear pins with me when I am out.

Of course, I have heard that some people run into the sand gradually, slow down and come to a stop, so that they can get out and push the kayak off a sand bar, not breaking the shear pin. That is a very creative way to avoid breaking a shear pin. However, that is just a rumor that I have overheard.

Comment

LOL thanks for the info...makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                          X