Allen's Fresh 3/4/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen's Fresh 3/4/11

Luckily, I was able to play hooky today to meet up with the crew to get some yak time. It was myself, Grady Black, Mytmouse, and Foursteps24. I arrived late, as I had to put in 4hrs of work today. They hit the water around 10am at low tide. The wind was making slow drifts a challenge, so they beached and fished from shore for a while.

Upon my arrival, they had a great laugh at my expense. So I heard the water down there can be shallow. I found out the hard way. I began my trek toward their location, motoring along. I began to play with my iPhone, shooting video. Then I heard my motor slowing down. "WTF? I just charged the battery." Then I realized what was going on. I quickly motored into water that was about 6 inches deep! I reached back and removed the motor, but still no luck. My weight alone grounded the kayak...it was that shallow. So I embarrassingly stood up and pulled my kayak to deeper water. I can hear all three of them busting their guts in laughter. It was funny...I can't lie.

Anyway, the fishing was slow (why do all of my reports say that ) A couple were caught here and there. All fish were caught on minnows. (We were also prepared with grass shrimp, night crawlers, and artificials. We ended with half a dozen fish, all in the 13" range. They were all nice fish, just few and far between. There were a few jon boats out, along with about half dozen other kayaks. As we were loading up, we were met by DNR at our cars alongside of the road. After a friendly chat and a check of our licenses and catch, we were on our way.

Great day out there on the water. Always a blast fishing/kayaking with the crew. I'm kinda over yellow perch now.

^I took this pic when I had to race to shore to avoid peeing on myself lol^

<insert witty comment here>

I love the shots of your yak. Those are some great pics. We will see how we do on Saturday at Jugs Bay. When I fished Allen's Fresh, I was never lucky enough to catch a real good perch run. I always just caught a couple.

Comment

Half the fun of fishing, is who you are fishing with!

Had a GREAT time yesterday Guys!!

BTW MetroMan: Foursteps24 & Mytmouse were talking about you like dog before you got there! Lol.

GB

Comment

I had a ball as well. Now Grady thats how you gonna do us...........Only Myt and I were talking trash? LMAO! That is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Far in the distance you see a bright yellow kayak coming towards you and it comes to a complete hault. WE had no clue what was wrong but it was obvious once the paddle came out. Then you see this guy get out in the middle of the river and start pushing like his car was stuck in snow. LMAO!!!! Once again guys I had a great time.

Comment

LOL @ Grady! Man it was a blast out there despite the pesky winds and slow fishing it was great times as always! I think seeing you get out of your yak in the water made it all worth the while!! LOL You didn't use that youtube vid Metroman to fillet your fish?

MYT

Comment

I'm sorry I missed you guys out there on Friday. Sounds like it was a good time.

I hit Allen's Fresh today (March 5th) from 8:30 to 11:30 and caught a couple small white perch. People were catching some yellows, but only if they were using minnows. It was low tide, which is when I've always been told the action is hot. One guy said it was better yesterday at high tide. Anyway, the water temp was around 47*.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
            X