Travel Rod and reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Rod and reel

This is my traveling fishing rod and reel setup. I headed down to Florida via Air with one carry on and decided to pack this in the travel backpack. It fits nicely when broken down. It's an Emmrod Outback model rod (no longer made and renamed Kayak King or something) and Penn Fierce 2000 with 15lb braid and 24" 20lb mono leader.

Disassembled 20140130_154752.jpg Assembled 20140130_155018.jpg

I'll update on how it works out after I get back.

What do others use?
    Last edited by Goody; 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Bought this travel rod for trips down to the space coast. Worked pretty well and I was able to land a bunch of species including sea trout, jacks, snapper, puffers and catfish.

Comment

About 20 years ago, I told my wife I would like a travel rod for Christmas. I thought she would go to K-Mart and get the 5 piece rod in a plastic case for $20. Instead she went to Anglers. They talked her into buying a St. Croix Premier 3-piece 7 ft medium spinning rod that comes with its own rigid tubular carrying case. The tube does not fit inside my rolling suitcases, but does fit inside a large duffle bag if I decide to check two pieces of luggage. On most of my trips to Florida, I bring that rod, a Stradic 2500 reel and a small Plano box with jigheads and lures and Gulps, pliers, knife, and a grip tool.

I have caught specs, trout, jacks, and other fish in Florida. On my 2010 trip to Alaska, I used that rod to catch salmon and Pacific rockfish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

So, my brother bought this one. comes with two different action tips sections. I've flown down to the bahamas with this as carry on without an issue. It ends up being so thin it will fit in any overhead compartment. http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Travel-S...ds=okuma+nomad
        Jeff
        Life's Short, Fish Hard
        Malibu X-Factor
        Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

I use a BPS Extreme 3 piece 6'6" MH spinning rod. It was a great deal when it was on sale and came with a case. It fits in some of my bags but I usually just carry it in the water bottle holder on my backpack strapped in. I also have a 7 piece fly rod that fits in pretty much any bag. I've caught a lot of fish on the spinning rod and need to take the fairy wand out more!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I have a Cabelas Fish Eagle, and Salt Striker travel rods. They come in three pieces in a tube. They are all excellent and not crazy expensive. Especially if you can get them on sale.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I have several travel rods- Charkbait inshore explorer 20# class casting rod that I use with a Revo conventional reel, Albright Medium spinning rod with a Pfleuger Supreme reel, and my newest addition, a Fox Sport Fishing V-Jig XT Trek Travel casting rod 30-80# that I use with a Penn Squall LD40 loaded with 65# braid for deep drop and bottom fishing- All are very handy rods, that have very good action and are very durable- I would recommend them if you need to have high quality travel rods- The Fox Sport offshore travel rod is imported from the UK and lists for $280.00- and is really a tough big fish rod-
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-05-2014, 06:58 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X