Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goin' Deep Droppin' , Sat 22 Feb

17-hr Deep Drop, Sat 2-22-14

Had too much fun on my last trip in December, and I'm getting withdrawal symtons, so I'm going again. Anyone interested?

Planning another trip on the Rudee Angler out of Rudee Inlet (http://www.rudeeinletcharters.com/). If you're interested, sign up ($200) soon to get on the first boat. Sign up later, and you may get on a second boat or no boat. Each boat will take at least 30 anglers.

Unlike my last Deep Drop trip in Dec, BSB is now not the target because the season is closed until May. Target will be tiles and grouper, and maybe wreck fish too. As you may know, these fish are found in deeper waters, around 300-900+ feet. So, make sure your equipment can handle those depths.

If you can't make this trip, but still want to try Deep Drop, you may want to go in March. If the Rudee Angler gets a permit during that time, anglers will be allowed to fish and keep BSB, instead of waiting until May when BSB season reopens. I plan to go again in March if the permit comes through.

During this time of the year, cancellations often happen due to wx. Last year my January trip got canceled five times, but I was prepared to take the trip during each of the following weekends. So, be prepared to go on Saturdays following 22 Feb should the trip be canceled. Note: there are no refunds.

Hope the wx is good.

For tips on fishing Deep Drop, see thread:
    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ight=deep+drop
    Last edited by tufnik; 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Anybody else book for the 22nd?

Comment

Looks like we have three so far:
      tufnik
      Metroman
      Fourstep

BTW, I checked with the Charter and so far only three are on the list. The boat needs at least 20 or else no-go. Don't fret, it's still early and many more should sign up.

toyomo,
      If the trip is canceled on the 22nd due to wx, you don't necessarily have to go the following weekend. You can still go on a later weekend (in March), so you won't loose you payment. I would call them up to double check.

Comment

I just called them up and actually she said if they cancel due to weather you have the option of a refund or reschedule. The no refund policy only means you cant back out and cancel yourself. If thats the case i might be able to go. will decide soon.
        2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I can't go because of business travel to Houston, Texas, but I am planning on going on the March 8th trip if anyone is interested in going then-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            I can't go because of business travel to Houston, Texas, but I am planning on going on the March 8th trip if anyone is interested in going then-
            Too bad sometimes our jobs get in the way of things...lol.. I plan to go again after this 22 Feb trip, but I think 8 Mar is too soon to know about the BSB permit. I'm thinking maybe mid to late March is when we should know about whether the Captain got the permit, and I do want BSB on my next trip.

Comment

Had tile for dinner last night, frozen from last year, and it was still excellent

Comment

yeah- I had Golden Tile at Schmidt and McCormick's in DC Friday- it was very good with pilaf and steamed broccoli- I really wanted to try out my new Fox Sports four piece VT Jig XT travel rod on a big grouper or tilefish, but it will have to wait for a while longer...I paired it up with a Penn Squall 40 LD with 550 yards of 65 # test Cabela's RipChord braid- figure that should be a good heavy-duty bottom fishing rig I can fly anywhere with.

Comment

How do you like that Squall? My Penn Fathom 30 does well on Deep Drops, but I should have bought the 40 for extra line capacity. I use Power Pro 65#, 500yds. I also have RipCord I'd like to use, but the line is thicker than PP.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to put either the rod or reel to a good test- I want to give it a real test with an offshore bottom fishing trip- It holds plenty of line and seems to have a good drag, but a big fish will be the real test- the Fox Jig XT 4 piece travel rod seems a bit light but has a tremendous reputation as a monster slayer and is supposed to be tough as nails- it is rated to 80#...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      I haven't had a chance to put either the rod or reel to a good test- I want to give it a real test with an offshore bottom fishing trip- It holds plenty of line and seems to have a good drag, but a big fish will be the real test- the Fox Jig XT 4 piece travel rod seems a bit light but has a tremendous reputation as a monster slayer and is supposed to be tough as nails- it is rated to 80#...
                      Sounds like an awesome rod, but it seems a bit pricey.

Comment

Wx will be warming up as we approach Deep Drop day.

Comment

Temps has fallen as well. Hopefully everything stays on track and even gets better. Looking forward to a good time.

Comment

Yeah, very pricey at $280... i looked long and hard to find a travel rod that can handle heavy weight lines and big fish without breaking-but where can you find a real four piece travel rod that breaks down to 18 inches and will handle 80# test lines without shattering into a zillion pieces? I considered the Nomad series by Okuma but none of their rods were rated as high. Most travel rods are rated for inshore fishing- Charkbait has some but they have metal spigot with screw together ferrules and are just as pricey. I may have made a mistake by believing the ads and the videos on You Tube of big fish being caught on them- don't know until I fish this outfit. The rods are built by Fox Sports (no relation to Fox News) in the UK and imported by just a couple of distributors due to the small niche market and price. If I didn't travel so much I would never have even thought about doing this- but I am sitting in a Houston hotel room typing this post this morning...it is 67 degrees and humid here. Perfect fishing weather-
                            I have a few "dumb" questions if you folks who have experience on these trips will indulge me-
                            I ordered some supplies to make up rigs- glow beads, and lights...I see many ready made rigs are four and five hook rigs- I think a three hook rig would be plenty...does the boat supply lead or are you expected to bring sinkers up to 3#? The trip on the 8th of March is advertised for grouper, tautog, reef fish and tile fish...sounds like a deeper drop than the BSB trips...also how big a cooler can you bring? I have a 105 qt Igloo thinking that getting it on wouldn't be nearly as hard as trying to get it off heavily loaded with fish- I don't want to carry too much with me, but I don't want to go without having essential stuff- you have said some bring a sleeping bag...how about listing what you consider the stuff anyone should bring- I have a soft sided tackle bag with the big Plano plastic boxes- I have Cabela's Guide Gear breathable rain gear- I see a lot of folks wear Grudens vinyl bibs- must be to keep the blood and fish slime off- How about rubber boots? I have my runners gloves I wear on my cold weather kayak trips- Under Armour long johns...I plan on using Owner 7/0 circle hooks for rigging- too small or too big? The pre made rigs feature hooks of 10/0 and larger...
                            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-17-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

All your questions are answered in the link on my first post of this thread, Ron. Just read through the linked thread (for Tufnik's tips: covers cooler size, clothes, boots, hook size, tackle, etc.). But let me answer a few.
                              - The boat provides all tackle, but I like to use my own gear. If you use your own rod/reel, they give you rigs (lead and hooks) and bait.
                              - Depends on the bite. I think right now it'll be mainly tile, barrel and grouper.
                              - As I recall, VA regs say a 3-hook rig is max allowable.
                              - Some guys bring 150-200+ qt coolers.
                              - I bring rod/reel, bag of stuff (includes drink/food), 70 qt cooler and tackle bag. I may bring a mat/bag on this trip.
                              Last edited by tufnik; 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X