New to the Board/New to Kyak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Board/New to Kyak Fishing

Fished the Bay Bridge for stripers in early June with plastics and had limited success but with much fun. I live in Lancaster, Pa and have a Hobie Pro Angler. I am planning a trip for friday. Want to launch at SPSP. Catch some spot and liveline for stripers. Have no idea want I am doing but your posts have stoked my interests. Your input would be greatly appreciated?

if you want to liveline, just catch some spot either off the point, near the jettys or near the bridge next to the entrance tot he marina. the the spot on a 5/0 to 8/0 hook( i prefer 5 or 6) either threw the nose or back behind the dorsal fin, and let the spot go next to a bridge piling or if you have a fishfinder,along the shipping channel edge where you are marking some activity. if there are blues around, you may wan tot stick a 1oz inline weight a few feet above the spot to try and help get the spot down quickly.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply Stu, I have a fish/depth finder. Is staying close to the bridge my best shot at catching some stripers with spot? If so, should I launch from Hemingways?

Comment

i would like to think yes. rockfish like structure, beit a visable structure like a bridge or underwater structure like a reef, ledge, wreck, shoal, etc. with a visble structure, you dont waste time looking for it. thats basically the only benefit since both can hold fish. ive always had better luck on the eastern shore when i only fish the bridge so i would put in at hemmingways. sandy point light house can be productive aswell before the boat traffic comes in.
        sigpic

Comment

How do you like the pro angler....how does it do in choppy waters?
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I love the Pro Angler. Handles choppy water with no problems. Did get some chop when I fished the Bay Bridge in June. Had some water come over the bow but I really never got wet. For kyak fishing the mirage drive is "the bomb". I really like the width because it gives me lots of room on each side of me to place equipment. About the only draw back is its heavy and cumbersome. Had no problems launching at Hemingways but I need easy access points to launch. I have a pickup truck so I have no problems transporting it in the bed of the truck.

Comment

Hey Stu, am I going to be able to find Spot on the Eastern side of the bridge. Were should I look for them. Just bought three packs of fishbite bloodworms. would like to use them.

Comment

I have a revo but I think my next kayak will be the pro angler. I just didn't know how it handled in very choppy waters.

Originally posted by Saltyhawgs View Post
                I love the Pro Angler. Handles choppy water with no problems. Did get some chop when I fished the Bay Bridge in June. Had some water come over the bow but I really never got wet. For kyak fishing the mirage drive is "the bomb". I really like the width because it gives me lots of room on each side of me to place equipment. About the only draw back is its heavy and cumbersome. Had no problems launching at Hemingways but I need easy access points to launch. I have a pickup truck so I have no problems transporting it in the bed of the truck.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                X