New member moving to DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member moving to DC

Hey guys I'll be moving up to DC in the fall and I've been trying to find the kayak anglers up in that area. I'm currently down in NC. Picked up kayak fishing last summer in a 10ft craigslist SIK and had a blast fishing small ponds and creeks in the area. Recently upgraded to a Jackson Cuda 12 and got it rigged and I'm looking forward to getting onto some bigger water as things warm up. Already have plans to fish some of the bigger lakes and inshore waters down here over the summer with a well manned Kayak Wars team.

Curious if there are any other DC area kayak anglers, where you guys fish, and what you do with your kayaks in the city. I'm moving from a house in the county with a 2 car garage to a 1 bedroom apartment downtown so there's going to be some significant downsizing but the kayak, truck, and bike are staying. Looks like it shouldn't be to much trouble keeping the yak on the truck in the parking garage or in the apartment if it fits up the stairs. I'm spoiled, within 20 miles I've got public access beaver ponds, small lakes, backwoods dirty puddles, and creeks and rivers so I'm not expecting things to be quite that easy moving to the city but being right next to the Potomac and more coastal it looks like there should be plenty of coastal waters within easy strike distance and any body of water to big to cast across that's kayak dragging distance from the road is fair game.

Looking forward to getting up there and hitting the water with the locals.

Thanks,
    Adam

Luni..you'll find plenty of Washington metro guys on here. I'm sure they'll have lots of pointers for kayak storage and all. One thing you are right about, there are lots of opportunities close to DC. One in DC is Fletcher's Boathouse. The guy's had a Meet and Greet there a while back and caught LM and SM bass, a walleye, big catfish and an assortment of other fare. They also fish there for shad. If you head down to So. Maryland, give me a holler and we'll find something to catch. That Cuda will handle most anything we got local to DC. and the Chesapeake.

Welcome!!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Plenty of great bass fishing opportunities on the Potomac for you. I prefer fishing the Potomac above Great Falls for smallmouth bass, but the tidal Potomac has largemouths, stripers, shad, cats, and snakeheads. I work in DC daily near the baseball stadium. Lots of guys around DC who you can meet up with. Plenty of fishing opportunities for you and guys here are always looking for company on their fishing trips.
      Last edited by DanMarino; 01-22-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I'll have to link up with you guys once it heats up this summer and get on some potomac smallmouth. I get jealous trying to catch pond bass when the water is boiling meanwhile the river guys just keep hauling fish into the boat. I'm up usually once a month for a long weekend. See how the girlfriend likes the idea of me disappearing to float the river when I don't get that much time in town.

Went looking for post cold front crappie today and just ended up with a couple pickerel. There are some benefits to not being stuck under 6 inches of snow in January.

Comment

Working...
        X