Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-hr Tog Trip O.C. 1-20-14, Mon

11-hr Tog Trip O.C. 1-20-14, Mon

The Morning Star with a dozen anglers left dock 0720 hrs. We rode 3 1/2 hours to the first fishing spot, and that included about a 5 minute stop to drop 20-25 square bricks for the Captain's artificial reef building efforts.

At the first spot, we dropped green crab and white leggers with 12-ounce sinkers in about 100' of water and caught togs immediately. We moved to other spots and continued to catch fish. There were many shorts pulled up, but everybody caught keeper togs. The biggest tog came in at 24 1/2". A few guys limited out at four keepers. I took home three keepers (17, 18, 19").

The forecast was a little windy, but the day turned out pretty good even though the ride out was a bit bumpy. The day was mostly sunny with about 10+ mph wind. All in all, a good trip. Looking to do another trip soon.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

All togs nothing else?

Comment

WTG Tufnik! I wanted to go out with Monty this season but with Black Seabass being closed I haven't been as quick to pull the trigger! Did you guys have to weed through a lot of Sea bass while out there?

Comment

I didn't see or hear anyone catch anything but togs.

BSB season is closed for MD, DE and VA until about May, but there is an exception. The Captain at Rudee Charters may get a special permit which allows anglers to take home BSB, but that might happen in March. I'm planning to do another 17-hr Deep Drop next month for tile and grouper. Am planning for 22 Feb. Looking forward to it Will post notice soon.
        Last edited by tufnik; 01-21-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Nice job Tufnik. Believe it or not all my sea bass is gone from last trip except for 1 whole one I have left. I am itching to restock soon lol. Was this boat very crowded?
          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Gotcha! I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Comment

Had to revise the BSB story, MTYM. See post.

The boat has numbered fishing spots (25). The boat had only about a dozen anglers, so it was not crowded at all. I had only one easy-to-fix tangle. Monty limits the load to about 12-14 anglers depending on the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
                Nice job Tufnik. Believe it or not all my sea bass is gone from last trip except for 1 whole one I have left. I am itching to restock soon lol. Was this boat very crowded?
                Once you taste BSB, you can't get enough. Aren't the fish tacos awesome? When BSB can be taken home, I hope to do another Deep Drop in Mar/Apr.
                Last edited by tufnik; 01-21-2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Where do you pick up white leggers if you don't trap/catch them yourself?
                  Brian

Comment

Tufnik Im looking to go on a deep drop trip. Let me know and Im in

Comment

I don't know how they got them, but a group of anglers from New Jersey and PA brought down a nearly-full 150 qt cooler of white leggers. They used about half. The boat provided only green crabs, and that's what I used. Togs didn't seem picky on either bait.

..burp....excuse me.....I just had tog tacos for dinner.

Planning for 22 Feb Deep Drop, Fourstep. Will post. Tiles and groupers will be targets. Maybe we can start another MKF group.

Comment

I guess tackle shops up there carry them. Last time I went out on the Morning Star the only people that had white leggers were some guys from Philly and NJ too. I've never seen them sold around here.

Sounds like it was a good time too!
                        Brian

Comment

Yeah it's an upper northeast thing. I have never seen them hear, but the New York guys swear by em! When I went they had a big old cooler of em too!

Comment

So no BSB on the deep drops until March?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                              So no BSB on the deep drops until March?
                              As mentioned in post #4, maybe March. Closed until May for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X