Mark and John's SPEC-tacular day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark and John's SPEC-tacular day

I fished the last two days with Tampa kayak guide Neil Taylor. Last evening MKF member Mark arrived to join me for two more days of kayak fishing. This morning we returned to the spot where I had caught about 60 speckled trout on Friday. The trout were still there and were eager to feed. Both Mark and I caught specs on our first cast. Over the course of 4 hours of fishing, I caught another 60 trout. Mark caught a bunch on the same spinning tackle I was using, then switched over to flyfishing. He quickly got the technique down and added nearly 10 more trout on the long rod. Here are some photos.

003.jpg 004.JPG 013.jpg 027.jpg032.jpg 004_2.jpg 009.jpg 014.jpg

In addition to catching over 100 trout between us, I had a surprise catch. I hooked a large mullet in the mouth -- it was my strongest fight of the day. Mullet are very common here but are plankton feeders. They do not normally eat lures. Neil told me this happens only rarely.

007.jpg 019.jpg
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,
    nice report of catching a really nice species and great that Neil could put you on them. What happened to your waders and boots that we usually see in your reports?
    safe travels
    ST

Comment

Great job. Looked like a good time.

Comment

Nice! I've got a good friend headed to Tampa next month, and a couple more that are there now. Going to have to make a trip down to see them. They are all kayakers too.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Sounds like you are having fun! They are calling for up to 6" of snow here tomorrow, so I would hang out down there a little while longer

Comment

Wow, awesome! These are the types of days we dream about. Nice catching.

Looks ominously cloudy in those photos... lucky you did not get rained out.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Day 4 offered great weather -- no wind and mild temperatures. We had great expectations when we launched at 7:45. We fished numerous spots in a scenic bay behind a small island near Dunedin (Gulf of Mexico side). Despite the ideal conditions, the fish were not biting well today. I managed 8 small specs and one small redfish. Mark had numerous strikes but only caught a few specs plus one flounder. We each caught a 19" spec -- this gave us a taste for the type of fish we could have caught on a good-bite day. We kept at it for a full 8 hours -- our legs and butts were sore when we attempted to stand up at the end of the trip.

But given the weather back in Maryland, we feel very lucky to have experienced an enjoyable day on the water here.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Just got home from the airport and somehow landing in a snowstorm makes the trip to Florida even more memorable.

I have to say that Tampa is a wonderful destination for a winter fishing break and Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing is an excellent instructor and a most entertaining guide.

I had a blast. Thank you for sharing your trip with me.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark -

I'm glad you made it home. After you left, Southwest announced it was cancelling flights to Baltimore for the rest of the day. Fortunately, I get to have three more days in warmer weather -- New Orleans this time. Sadly, no more fishing on this trip -- I get to experience "Death by Powerpoint" in a dark meeting room during the day plus the sights, sounds, and smells of Bourbon Street in the evening.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                  X