Outfitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfitting

Thanks to the advice and "how to" posts on this and the Pier and Surf forum, I am just about done outfitting my MR Synergy 14 hybrid kayak to my personal "wants." I haven't figured out a name to call it- yet.

I am in the final stages of getting all my supplies and gear ready for my first ever kayak paddle. The dry top I ordered should be in sometime this week, the M34 VHF handheld coming from West Marine is scheduled for delivery by Tuesday the seventh...my Harmony order came Monday- It includes an extension spray shield that will keep the spray off my legs (figure the Mad River hybrid I have could use some more mods to help keep water out) along with some rigging hardware, new bungee cord, etc.

I stopped by American Hardware on the way home from work today and picked up a milk crate, three feet of one inch diameter oak dowel, nine feet of 1 1/4 inch schedule 40 plastic PVC pipe, two 1/4-20 X 2 inch stainless bolts and locknuts today for making my tackle storage and rocket rod holders and making two flush rod holder extension rod holders so my reels aren't so close to the water- they are going to be a foot higher. Looks like another week or so before I will be ready- think I'll try my first kayak fishing outing at Gilbert Run off Rt. 6 for fresh water fishing.

Every time I get one more thing ready it gets checked off the list- I have only a few more accessories to buy or make. Figure I'll be ready as soon as the warmer weather breaks.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Sounds like your doing a nice job. It will pay off this spring and summer.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-03-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Glad the kayak went to a good home. Sounds like its gonna be a beast!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Oh, that is the former SS Metro. Yeah, Metro has gone the way of us older guys, of the electric boat set. Although, I must say, trolling is nice with an electric motor. Sounds like the Synergy has a few more fish to catch. Now we'll see if it is the kayak or the fisherman.

Comment

Lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            Glad the kayak went to a good home. Sounds like its gonna be a beast!
            Don't know about that, Metro,but I am trying to make it as "user" friendly as I can. I am rigging an anchor trolley this week when the hardware I ordered comes in. And today I made a roof top carrying system from PVC and Neoprene foam pipe insulation to transport the yak on my Ford Focus...only have two more things left to do after I get my deliveries- so I am making progress and getting really close to my first paddle-

Update- today- Friday March 4th- all my deliveries from the INTERNET orders came in- nothing left to get- got it all- now just putting it together- the dry top fits great- I had to get a set of chest waders as they didn't carry my size- 44 waist in the companion pants to the dry top- Went ahead and bought a kayak cart- just too much trouble for the little $ saved by DIY.
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-04-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              Don't know about that, Metro,but I am trying to make it as "user" friendly as I can. I am rigging an anchor trolley this week when the hardware I ordered comes in. And today I made a roof top carrying system from PVC and Neoprene foam pipe insulation to transport the yak on my Ford Focus...only have two more things left to do after I get my deliveries- so I am making progress and getting really close to my first paddle-

Update- today- Friday March 4th- all my deliveries from the INTERNET orders came in- nothing left to get- got it all- now just putting it together- the dry top fits great- I had to get a set of chest waders as they didn't carry my size- 44 waist in the companion pants to the dry top- Went ahead and bought a kayak cart- just too much trouble for the little $ saved by DIY.
              It was windy today (Saturday) and I decided to spend the day putting everything together that I ordered instead of my first paddle- after a full four hours of work, I have to admit the kayak looks great- the rocket launcher rod holders extend the reels up about a foot above the flush rod holder. The crate fits perfectly in the rear deck area- I put two extra plastic hooks on the sides to secure the spray shield extension and a plastic loop to hook my fish stringer and minnow bucket to.

Comment

Were you thinking of launching at the lake or in the creek?
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Can't wait to see pics!

Comment

OK, how do I post pictures to this site, Metro?

And.... I had planned to launch at the 60 acre Gilbert Run reservoir in Charles County. I am very familiar with Gilbert Run. My young Daughter loves the playground ther and feeding the ducks and geese.

Comment

When you click the "post reply" button, toward the bottom you'll see a "manage attachments" button. Click that, and you will be able to upload pics from your computer.

Also you can host them online at a site such as photobucket. Once loaded there, you just use the IMG tag. If you hit the "quote" button on one of my prior posts with pics embedded, you'll see the IMG tags as an example.

Comment

try this

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

[/IMG]
                          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

When you uploaded them to photobucket, did you accidentally resize them? For internet pics, 640x480 is a size that works really well.

Comment

nice job, to post pix start a new post, page down till you see post attachments , click on that then it says browse click on that find your pix and click on it. would like to see the refurbished SS Metro

Comment

Working...
                              X