Feb 27th Yellow Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb 27th Yellow Perch

I meet OnTheFlats today and fished the NorthEast River again. I arrived there around the same time that Steve and Jim, two other Tidalfishers that were going to fish the same river in their kayaks. The day was great. I think it felt like it warmed up to 60 degrees on the water. The winds were light. The water was again tainted with a muddy color, probably from the strong winds that we had on Friday. The fishing was slow. We used minnows as the primary bait, with some left over grass shrimp from yesterday. My first fish of the day was an 11 inch shad. I then I caught several yellow perch. Unfortunately, most of them was shut short of the minimum length. I did manage several keepers with my largest being just over 13 inches and full of roe. I caught that one near the channel markers on a drift. Steve and Jim caught their 10 fish limit while slowly trolling their lines on the bottom, allowing the minnows to bounce around. That technique seemed to prove fruitfull for them in the channel. All in all it was a beautiful day with more perch fillets and roe for dinnner.

Nice work again on the perch. At least you were able to catch dinner. My family would've starved if I was providing dinner.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
      Nice work again on the perch. At least you were able to catch dinner. My family would've starved if I was providing dinner.
      One good thing that I can say is that the kayak fishing machine rules. The kayaks did way better catching the yellow perch that the larger boats. The larger boats seemed to drift much faster than the kayaks due to their larger surface area and profile. The perch seemed to like the slower drift. The bigest fish seem to hang out at the channel near the mouth of the river.

Comment

Nice work M!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

At least I caught some fish and did not need a tow from the Metro Express...

Comment

WTG Moc..
            GB

Comment

nice, i got stuck replacing baseboards in my basement rec room yeah loads of fun but i stand by the old saying happy wife, happy life. but it did suck on a nice day like that

Comment

Working...
              X