Weekend Yak Work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Yak Work...

This weekend I finally got started on rigging the Metro Express. After collecting parts and weighing numerous options, I began to execute my rigging plans.

First up was the fish finder mount. Instead of mounting the humminbird mount directly to the deck, I opted to use a scotty mount. I chose this option to keep the deck as flush as possible when the fish finder is not in use (like for when the yak is in storage or being transported). I combined the Scotty compact thread mount with the scotty Humminbird Post. My intent was to be able to simply unplug the fish finder and remove the entire post after a trip.

(^this is exactly how I envisioned being able to mount the fish finder^)

Using the included spacer as a template, I made a pencil outline for the mounting location.

Ideally a holesaw bit would be used, but the dremel works just fine. You just need to be careful...very careful.

Err'ing on the side of caution, you want to cut just within the outline; switch to a sanding barrel/wheel after the hole is cut to make the hole just wide enough for a snug fit.

Last edited by MetroMan; 02-27-2011, 09:52 PM.
    <insert witty comment here>

I applied a generous bead of marine silicone to maintain the integrity of the hull.

Here's the mount, inserted...

Below the deck, its threaded tight. The bottom is secured with a screw-on cap.

The ALMOST final result:

Wires haven't been ran yet because I haven't received the new transducer yet. When I do, wires will be installed using a wire cap from West marine. I paid the store a visit on Friday and liked the flush, clean look of the wire caps. While they're not 100% water proof as is, this can be changed with a small dab of silicone. Here's a taste of how it will look...

Comment

Now on to the rod holders. I decided to install 4 rod holders...all mounted with bases behind the seat. Sounds crazy right? lol The first rod holder is comprised of several pieces. Attached to the deck is the Scotty Flush Mount bracket

The Scotty Adjustable Rod Extender inserts into this mount. The opposite end
      is finished off with a Scotty rod holder. I got this idea from mytmouse. It's a really good yet simple system that provides great versatility.

Behind this assembly, I installed a Sea Dog Flush Mount Rod Holder. As with the previous holes, I used the bottom of the mount as a template for my holes. This one was a little bit different however. The hole required for this is an oval. I simply cut my circle using my dremel, then made a series of small adjustments until the mount made a snug fit. This mount is a REALLY nice piece. It comes with a nice silicone gasket & cap. I added a small bead of sealant to the bottom side. Foursteps24 had a great suggestion for applying the silicone to the screw threads. Add a dab of sealant to one side, and as you screw the fastener in, it will twist its way around, coating the entire screw.

It worked really well, and ensured a good seal.

I repeated the same process for the other side of the yak. The flush mount rod holders will be used for rod storage while bottom fishing. I plan to have rigged rods back there so should I have a break off, I can grab a replacement rod opposed to having to retie & re-rig. With the adjustable extenders arms, I will be able to swing the arms forward, having a scotty holder at each side.

If I am trolling, the rear flush mount holders will hold my rods while I'm trolling. The scottys can/will be removed while trolling. This combination of rod holders will give me the most flexibility for my intended use.
      Last edited by MetroMan; 02-27-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Here are some pics of the end result

Comment

Also big thanks to Fourstep24 for coming out to be a second set of eyes for me. He saved me from myself a couple of times, and was there to give me hell and take pics when I did stupid stuff. For example, I failed to adequately tighten the collet on the dremel while cutting a hole. The bit came out of the dremel and fell into the hull before I finished cutting the hole.

After taking a picture of my look of disdain & despair...

He used his brain and common sense and told me how to get the bit out of the kayak. Good friends are great.

Thanks for all of the advice and input you guys have given me. I hope this thread helps someone someday.

Comment

Just curiouse why so many rod holders in the back,you know its not always easy to feel a hit when its behind you even if its that close.I've done many double takes to the back to realize I had a fish on.There are alot of distractions out there,wind,chop,paddling and just totally spacing out.F it, a couple more holes will just give it personallity.Looks good though.

Comment

The scottys will be swung forward when bottom fishing/drifting, in my field of view. Like I mentioned, the rear two holders will be used for storing back up rods unless I'm trolling. When I'm trolling, I'll use the rear flush mounts to hold the rods. Since I use rods with bait feeders, I should be able to hear when I have a take.

Also having everything mounted this way kinda keeps things clear and open for me in the cockpit area. Ive seen plenty of people use rod holders attached to crates for storing extra rods. I don't plan on using a crate, so the flush mounts kinda help in that regard.
              Last edited by MetroMan; 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM. Reason: Added some stuff

Comment

Originally posted by crawdad View Post
                Just curiouse why so many rod holders in the back,you know its not always easy to feel a hit when its behind you even if its that close.I've done many double takes to the back to realize I had a fish on.There are alot of distractions out there,wind,chop,paddling and just totally spacing out.F it, a couple more holes will just give it personallity.Looks good though.

From what I have read, Metro and MYT need all the rods in the water that they can get to catch a fish. Just kidding, just kidding, I could not let that one go by. Looks good.

The photo with the dremel should be titled "No Fear."

Comment

Lmao@ dogfish! Tough love!!

Comment

Looks pretty sweet. I've got a question about the fish finder. If you run the wires through the wire cap, how can you store the fish finder display. Is there a quick release for the wires?
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The wires connect in the back via two plugs...one for the power cable, one for the transducer cable. When I unplug them, I simply lift out the fishfinder with the post attached and store it where ever (inside the hatch, dry bag, etc.) The wire ends will remain protruding from the cap. If I DON'T silicone the entrance, I can pull the wires back into the hull to the point where just the plugs are left exposed.

Comment

Looks awesome, starting to get jealous. You do know they make a thing called a hole saw, allot easier to make holes.
                        Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                        LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Originally posted by Tucked In View Post
                          Looks awesome, starting to get jealous. You do know they make a thing called a hole saw, allot easier to make holes.
                          Yeah and a blade bit, but if he would have invited me he would have know that AND could have borrowed mine! LOL But I didn't want to steal his joy...

MYT

Comment

lol...I posted in one of the initial entires that a hole saw bit would be ideal. I was confident in my ability to get'er done with the stuff I had though.

Comment

Excellent work on your kayak. I have not rigged up my new yak yet. I am still using my old faithful Tarpon. When I take the Revo out on its sea trials, that will tell me what I need to get. I am still deciding on a color fishfinder. I will have to wait until I get some green together before I make the plunge. I just paid off my Revo from what I owed my credit card company before they charged me interest. Now to save for the fishfinder.....

Comment

Working...
                              X