Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen's Fresh 2/26 & 2/27

A picture is worth a thousand words:

I think they smelled the impending skunk.

I launched on Saturday at about 10:40 and fished until about 2pm, which was from a little after high tide to just before low tide. Water temp was about 45*. I covered 6.4 miles with nothing to show for it, but nobody else I talked with caught much, either. It was colder than the forecast said it would be, and more windy. There weren't many people out. I went well downstream to where the river narrows to about 300ft and gets about 16ft deep. I thought I could find some staging perch there, but I didn't have any luck. I saw some marks that looked like catfish, but they weren't on the menu today. I saw lots of marks in 6-8ft of water but couldn't coax a bite.

I hit it again today with my father in tow. Ma was threatening to kill him if he didn't go kayaking. Today we fished the main channel area to as far upstream as we could go before there were a lot of downed trees. Dad had one follow, and that was it. Saw a few small perch caught in the morning, but everyone said it was slow. Around 1pm, people started catching them from shore near the bridge, but we still didn't have any luck. Most of the fish I saw looked like there were on the small side or barely legal. There were tons of kayakers and canoers down by "The Cedars", but we didn't go down there.

On both days, I tried 2" Gulp grubs, Cicadas of various sizes, a 1.5" pearl grub on a 1/16oz head on a slip bobber, a Mepps Comet, a small Bomber floating minnow, single and twin tail chartreuse grubs on 1/8oz head with and without a spinner arm. Dad had the follow on a small, crappie shaped bait with a spinner arm. The people catching were using small crappie tubes and other small plastics. It's been a while since I've had a really good day there. I always seem to miss the hot action. Hopefully, I can get my perch mojo back this year.

On the bright side, I found another nice sign of spring when I got home today:

Last edited by ictalurus; 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

nice report Bill thanks. sorry for your skunkiness, used gs and minnows to get my feb. fish small male yp about 10". what is that a crocus, when the crocus are popping the perch are hopping, the old geezer proverb next couple weeks and the run will be on.

Comment

Yup, it's a crocus. I think the local perch lore here has to do with St. Patty's Day. Last year, I hit Allen's Fresh on the 6th with Grady Black, and we both got a few despite the slow action. Last year, I missed the prime time since I was out on a research cruise, so I hope I can get more perch action this year.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good effort Bill! I have to get down there soon and see whats up..
        GB

Comment

Working...
        X