Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King Mackerel !!! Kayak Mothership out of Hatteras!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Mackerel !!! Kayak Mothership out of Hatteras!

I had the opportunity to fish with some great guys this weekend out of Hatteras. BIG thanks to Ric Burnley for setting this trip up, look forward to fishing with you again. We left Teach's Lair on the Runaway operated by Capt. Jay, Amazing Boat and great crew. We had 6 kayaks on board and still had room for activities. First thing in the morning we tried for live bait but were only able to get one fatback for the livewell. Plan B was to use frozen Ballyhoo. The captain dropped us off in the middle of the fish and let us get to work. I had my first fish on (False Albacore) before the 5th kayak was off the boat. What an awesome experience, I cant wait for my next trip.
    <----Short Teaser.

Last edited by Pinch; 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Now that's what I'm talking about! Where did you fish, Pinch ? Diamond Shoals or the Tower area?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I need to do this! Do they provide any gear or did everyone use their own? Cant wait to see the video.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice work and that's pretty impressive off a kayak

Comment

That's awesome! Shady, I'm down when you go!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Very impressive. Someday I'll get enough experience to try tackling big water like that. I'm afraid I'd get excited and turtle !
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Sweet!!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                I need to do this! Do they provide any gear or did everyone use their own? Cant wait to see the video.
                They provided Bait but for the most part everyone had their own gear already. The boat had gear up in the bow but I never really got up there and looked at it. I was using a heavy action Trevala and an Avet SX reel spooled with 50lb braid, 10' of 30lb Mono topshot and 3' of wire leader. With the drag locked down on the Avet the larger kings were still smoking me. They would dump 50+ yards of line on their first run with max drag.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Now that's what I'm talking about! Where did you fish, Pinch ? Diamond Shoals or the Tower area?
                  We past the Diamond Shoals on the way out and then I fell asleep, I know we were about 15 miles from shore.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

That video is a teaser alright! Looking forward to see the rest!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                      They provided Bait but for the most part everyone had their own gear already. The boat had gear up in the bow but I never really got up there and looked at it. I was using a heavy action Trevala and an Avet SX reel spooled with 50lb braid, 10' of 30lb Mono topshot and 3' of wire leader. With the drag locked down on the Avet the larger kings were still smoking me. They would dump 50+ yards of line on their first run with max drag.
                      We always ran a fairly loose drag on big smoker kings- let them run a couple of hundred yards of line out- half the time they were skin hooked and if you had too much drag you would rip the hook out- and like you say- their first run is going to scream a reel no matter what you have your drag on- nothing like a 40 plus king skying a live blue runner- awe inspiring sight-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

BAD ARSE!!! Don't think anyone anytime soon will be topping those on the mkf leader board.

You always have a great selection of tunes on your vids, is that your stuff? If so what do you use, reason, logic, cubase etc? Inspiring me to dust off my old midi skills and make some beats

Comment

Wow, impressive macs. Too bad we don't have that kind of service at VB. Any idea how much the service is at Hatteras?
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Rates are the same as the Daily rates per Charter. The Runaway is $1250 (cash) $1350 (Credit) + 20% tip. They can take up to 6 anglers. That breaks down to $209 Per Person for the Captain and $80 Tip Per Person ($40 and $40 for the 2 mates). They Leave Teach's Lair at 6AM and Return at 4-5PM.
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I hope u guys post some video!
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X