Occoquan River Crappie 12/28/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan River Crappie 12/28/13

Launched at Occoquan Regional Park at around 12 pm and armed with 2 dozen small minnows I made a beeline for the docks. I met another member from the forms today and we fished together however I was unable to get him hooked up with any fish.

The bite today was off and on and I caught my first 5 fish in the first 30 minutes of me getting there. The minnows worked well today however it seems like the red and chartreuse crappie tubes were HOT. I saw two separate parties catch a bunch just jigging. One of the guys who I fished alongside told me that he had 50 after talking with him for a while. He was probably telling the truth because he was pulling one up every 5-10 minutes. I gave my minnows a rest and tried to learn my best from this man.

His tip was to drop the jig down all the way to the bottom and slowly jig it back up (he was using braid). I have used tubes with slip bobbers before and I tried this without any luck. I then turned to jigging and managed to jig up two on the red tube in the last hour or so with missed bites mixed in (need to work on figuring out how their bite works more). I need to explore more parts of the dock I think, but getting around can be a hassle.

In total I caught 9 crappie and one bluegill at a little under 9''. The crappie ranged from 9-12'' with the majority being 10-11.5''. Overall it was a pretty fun day, but was kind of disappointed about leaving my homemade smelly jelly at home and not being able to get the jigging technique down. I did talk and fish with many nice people today and turkonatarpon? Hope to fish with you again someday.

Anyway enough talk here are some pictures that I did take (sorry I didn't take more I was to busy fishing).

P1010089.jpg P1010090.jpg P1010091.jpg P1010092.jpg PC280094.jpg PC280098.jpg

I might fish again next saturday weather permitting let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by M_Duong60; 12-28-2013, 11:42 PM.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

PC280093.jpg

Comment

M_Duong60, it was great bumping into you today. And thanks for the tips. The weather was wonderful and you were a great company. I have not met many fellow-snaggedliners yet, so I am glad I met you today. Definitely looking forward to meeting many more of you guys. I really wanted to attend the December Meet and Greet on Occoquan, but couldn't. (Wife, kid, work, priorities.... you know the drill)
      And, hey I will get them crappies next time!
      “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Nice going Minh! Great advice on the jigging. I'll have to try that out. Do you know what size jig the gentleman was using? I'd imagine he would have needed 8lb braid or something and a light jig...
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice job on the crappie!
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
            Nice going Minh! Great advice on the jigging. I'll have to try that out. Do you know what size jig the gentleman was using? I'd imagine he would have needed 8lb braid or something and a light jig...
            I didnt ask but i would assume that the size we typically use is sufficient. He likes braid because he can feel every little tap and is probably using lighter braid imo.

Comment

Nice going on those crappie. I forgot how much fun they are to catch. I may have to purchase my VA fresh water license this year.

Comment

Nice work on the fish! I may have to get a freshwater license too, but the saltwater always seem to pull me there. BTW, the fish seem small. Do you fillet them? Gut them, then pan fry until crispy?
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  Nice work on the fish! I may have to get a freshwater license too, but the saltwater always seem to pull me there. BTW, the fish seem small. Do you fillet them? Gut them, then pan fry until crispy?
                  Thanks! I usually only fish freshwater in the winter and early spring when I still have classes because I can make quick trips. Plus not much else bites this cold.

I think 8-10 is the typical size of crappie and they are filleted and pan fried.

I tried to gut them once but for crappie their bones aren't the same in other fish as they are more of a hassle.

I split 5 fish per meal (2) and it fed 6 just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                    Nice going on those crappie. I forgot how much fun they are to catch. I may have to purchase my VA fresh water license this year.
                    Thanks also! I plan on fishing Occoquan at least 2 more times before the water warms up for tog and snakehead

Comment

Working...
                    X